What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leucophylla - slow growing?

I have a fairly recently aquired leucophylla which has flowered nicely and I was expecting a proliferation of pitchers but they are very slow! Its a large rhizome so thought it may have a few.It has sent one up which has opened but is very very slender ( compared with my alata and stevensii ) and is not very large at the top. I am growing it outside in a pot which itself is in a watertight pot to keep the level up. Is it too wet? or is this natural behaviour. I have an oreophila also which has produced more leaves than it has pitchers!! In the same climate and conditions ( outside mini bog ) I have alata, purpurea, stevensii and an unknown hybrid all of which are rampant!

Leucophyllas do not start growing properly until late August. In spring they send up thin, weaker pitchers and then grow non trapping leaves in summer (phyllodia). In late summer they will start to grow their impressive pitchers, so you aren't doing anything wrong.
Other pitchers grow their best pitchers during spring, such as flava and oreophylla, whereas others such as your stevensii will grow most of the season.

My lueco doesent grow hardly at all in spring (in fact it is almost pathetic looking):). AHH but in summer/fall WOW! it is magnificent especially in full sun.
Cole

phew...

I have had a Leuc for the good part of 6 months, and so far all it has done is put up a couple of non-pitchering leaves... I was getting worried. I recieved it as just the root too... so I figured the stress was still causing it problems. I suppose this combined with the nature of the plant is the cause then?

---Lane

As already posted, leucophyllas get a really late start. I have mine growing in a rather crowded, HUGE pot of mixed pitcher plants. I actually thought that I'd lost mine over the winter because I hadn't noticed ANY growth. Then tonight when I came home from work and checked out my pot-bogs (I have several) I noticed to my delight that there was a leuco pitcher shooting up out of the one pot!

Leucophylla isn't a slow grower it is just a late grower. Mine now has 3 new pitchers about 1 inch tall that just exploded form the growing point. I also have a nice 8 inch tall newly developing one. I am expecting my Leucophylla to be a beauty this year! Last year it had 1 and 1/2 inch diameter pitchers in the early fall. This year it should be interesting.
smile.gif

Back