What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leucophylla extinct in georgia?

I was just reading the fish & wildlife website that stated as of 1998, a single population of leucophylla hadn't been found in the last 8 years.

Just wondered if anyone knew one way or the other.

S. leucophylla is supposed to grow in SW Georgia. It sounds worrying but not particularly surprising
smile_h_32.gif

That one site is being actively protected by ABG

While selling plants at the Mount's Botanical Garden Plant Sale last spring in West Palm Beach, a woman walked up and struck up a conversation about Sarracenia. She was telling me about a place in Georgia where her husband hunts and fishes, and on the property are hundreds of white topped pitcher plants growing in a bog. They are visible from the road, and are a beautiful sight at certain times of the year. She then pointed to some Tarnok's we had for sale, and she exclaimed, "They look exactly like that, only much bigger!' This definitely perked my attention. I showed her a flava, and asked, "Are you sure they weren't these, with the yellow lid?" Oh no. They have those up there too, but it's the white top plants that are so pretty!" I asked her more about the "Georgia leucos", and all she could tell me is that they are way out in the country, and that you drive up i-75 to Tifton, and then go east. That's all she could remember, because her husband was driving. I asked how long ago, and she claimed that she saw them "last fall". She took a business card, wrote down my email, and said her husband will be in touch. Never heard a word back.
Point of the story: maybe there's more leucos in Ga. than we thought. Hopefully.

Trent

Trent,

Great story. Nice to hear there are probably more plants still out there.

my cousin went to college in tifton, i'll ask him about it. he told me he saw s. minor there, though.

There is indeed a stand of leucos in GA. As Mike mentioned it is currently very well protected and looked after by the Atlanta Botanical Garden. It's location has been successfully kept secret and I would like to request that if anyone does have any information about the location that they DO NOT publish it or post it anywhere. This site is already being actively sought by poachers.

Actually, I think it would be a good idea to post the location of that site............but only after positioning a couple of guys with  M600 .50 caliber sniper rifles in the area.
It would be a good place for some of our military to get some “live fire” training.
biggrin.gif

laugh.gif

hi Everyone,
If I ever find out where the leucos are...I may see this woman again at the Fall Plant Sale at Mounts B.G.-we see many of the same faces at every sale...it is fully our intention to make the trip up there, photograph the plants for our website-NOT collect them, and then call Ron Determan.
I have no idea if this is the same site as ABG is protecting or not.

Trent

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Trent @ Oct. 12 2004,2:54)]I have no idea if this is the same site as ABG is protecting or not.
Odds are it is the same site. There is only one to the best of my knowledge.

And I would very much recommend calling Ron D. first. The land may be private and I'd hate for you to get arrested for trespassing

The land is private, and the leucos are in a boggy area along one side of the property. The lady was able to give me a very vivid description of the immediate area, but not how to get to it. The plants are very exposed from the road--but finding the road
smile_l_32.gif

Trent

Back