What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LED lighting

SSS, I also purchased this item. I'm intending on testing it out, as soon as it gets here from China.

It arrived today. Excellently packed. And, holy s* is it bright! In my brilliance I decided to look right at it as I turned it on to test it. Blinded myself and saw stars for a good few seconds after I turned it off. My one real complaint so far is the cord is so short. (I've also learned that two would fit over a 20 gallon tank). I only have one, placed right over my Pings (swapped out my T5s). I'll see how they react. If well, I might upgrade a few lights to LEDs. It's notably brighter than my 4 bulb, 2 foot T5 set. Not sure how that will translate in terms of plant growth, yet.

I have been using LED light fixtures (meant for freshwater aquarium use) on my CPs for a couple of months now, and I have been encouraged by the results. Take this mini "bog" on my desk for example. The larger D. adelae on the left had a distinct greenish tinge on all the leaves when I got it on 24 Dec. 2014. As you can see, the leaves, especially the largest one with its first meal for the year, had turned reddish-purple. And this was achieved after about one week under the lights.

The LEDs look like this:

It sounds like your'e correct.

Nice, thanks for the info Randall. Can you use lumens to compare power, in 2 fixtures with the same spectrum, and have it be a solid piece of data?

If they had the same spectrum you could but I've rarely seen two spectrum charts that were the same even from the same company in the same spectrum range. Generally the R/B/G mess these up enough. Here is an example of one of the spectrum charts, you would need to find one that matched really close to use lumens as a basis.

http://www.rapidled.com/productimage.php?product_id=136&current_image=1

Back