What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lecanopteris photo

here is my lone Lecanopteris(ant fern) im drawing a blank as to what species, ill add it later..........

lecanopteris.jpg

its Lecanopteris pumila

Nice L. pumila out there. Can you tell me how long have you kept it and what condition do you have?

Thanks

sorry just noticed this. i gave you the conditions in your thread but i have had it for about 3 months or so. it didnt have much for fronds when i got it and what your seeing is almost all growth since i got it. the hisome isnt growing nearly as fast though

Envy envy!!! Too bad that Harry does not have any in stock now...

yeah they are a real pain to find. if you watch ebay there are some up for auction every once in awhile. other than maybe ordering them from Wistuba i have no clue of any reliable sources for them.

I have a couple of lecanopteris luzonensis, but it is attached to a dead wood branch. If I took it off the host branch will it survive?
antfern1.jpg

Sweet Tsonikboy! I'd leave it on the branch, I see no need to remove it. That's how I intend to grow my Lycanos when they arrive from Wistuba in a month or two.

Rattler do you fertilize it at all? I've taken to fertilizing anything that isn't a Nepenthes about once every week or two with 1/2 strength urea free orchid fertilizers (Grow More brand) and the plants are responding really well. I flush pots with pure RO 2 times a week and will be moving up to 3 times a week when the heat of summer kicks in. My Hydnophytum formicarum has went from a plant outgrowing its 2" seedling pot to outgrowing it's 6" pot and blooming it's first few tiny white blooms in the leaf axils last week. That's all since I recieved it in January. Almost all plamnts have started showing rapid new growth since I started pushing the feed instead of eventually remembering to fertilize.

its in with some orchids so it gets sprayed with 1/2 strength orchid fert every once in awhile. havent looked at it closly in awhile. cant wait to hear about you Wistuba Lecano's, ive heard mixed results. some really good and one grower has had terrible luck with them. im thinking it must have to do with how long they are stuck in transit

Perhaps if the US receiver/distributor for WIstuba were to mist the plants or rewet the packing napkins as the orders were divided up and repaced for individual shipping they would fare better along to their final destinations. I guess in the case of the Lycanos hopefully the caudex is large enough to store some water for their incredible journey!

Hey just got my first Lecanopteris today (ebay score):
lecanopterismirabilis.jpg

lecanopterismirabilis1.jpg

It's L. mirabilis the plate forming species the basal plate is only 1" with 9-10" leaves. The basal plates can get to about 10" in diameter not sure how much bigger the leaves get. I see these weird spots on all pics of L. mirabilis basal plates online. Are they similar to fern stipe scales or are they sori (spore packets) or something else? They appear to be a dark center surrounded by a filmy outer circle, I haven't tried pulling one of them off, yet...

Back