What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leaves with notches

L

lytleric

My two plants are coming out of domancy and the leaves seem to be growing differently than they used to. They are very tall, thin, stiff, and point straight up. Also, some of the new leaves look like they have "notches" in the sides of them, as if they have been cut or eaten or something. I have no vermin (that I can see). What would cause that? I thought spring leaves were supposed to be broad and flat... Am I giving my plants not enough light? Too much light? I have them under a 13-watt florescent "Ott-lite" grow lamp for 12 hours a day.

These tall, thin, leaves are refferred to as summer leaves, they usually are produced in the spring/ summer. Don't worry about it. The notches must be produced by bugs or aphids maybe.

Noah

some of my flytraps are doing it also

i dont think its bugs, i think they are just 'groggy' from dormancy...

some of the leaves had a chewed-on look while others had serrated edges like a steak knife...kinda strange...

and on some of these plants the traps didnt mature correctly...

but that was when the plant was first coming out of dormancy and now the leaves and traps are all tall, thin, and healthy

Same serrated effect on mine traps turned out fine though.

Yep, I've seen those 'notches' on mine too. I'm glad to hear that it's probably not vermin!
smile.gif

HAHAHA!!!! :cheesy:
I like that Noah
smile.gif

"Don't worry about it. The notches must be produced by bugs or aphids maybe."
That's all your plant is just bug ridden don't worry it's natural happens all the time.
smile.gif

Sorry it just made me laugh I guess I am in one of "those" moods
smile.gif

Back