What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leaves? Who needs leaves?

• Thread starter DragonsEye
  • Start date

DragonsEye

carnivorous plants of the world -- unite!
A new plant for me. Got it at an orchid show in February.
Chiloschista viridiflava

Chiloschista lunifera full plant.jpg Chiloschista lunifera flowers.jpg

Wow, thats interesting!

I love those! First time I ever saw one, I thought it was dead with just it's roots remaining. Thanks for posting!

It looks amazing. Those are one of my favorite orchids.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I don't know much on orchids so could someone please tell me how in da' heck this is possibl

I don't know much on orchids so could someone please tell me how in da' heck this is possibl

The roots carry out photosynthesis so the leaves are unnecessary. :)

The roots carry out photosynthesis so the leaves are unnecessary. :)

I believe (in nature) they live high up in the tall tree canopy where they receive a ton of sun . . . right?

Last edited:
I believe (in nature) they live high up in the tall tree canopy where they receive a ton of sun . . . right?

Not necessarily. From photos I've come across, they don't seem to be that high up in a canopy.
Even the ghost orchid -- a rather famous orchid native to the US -- does not live high up in the tree canopy. Instead, it lives on the side of tree trunks often getting some shade during the hottest part of the day. The Chiloschista may be similar. Here's a link to one habitat photo I came across ..... https://ljunggrens.org/wp-content/gallery/in-situ/Chiloschista-viridiflava-2-Katai.jpg and another one https://i.pinimg.com/originals/45/e8/25/45e82575237853916b238d2948f60b68.jpg ... seems almost more like scrub land.

It looks like it is attached to a cedar of a sort. Cedars provide a good amount of shade with its leaves.

Back