What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leaves up?

My VFT has been acting weird ever since it came out of dormancy, it's been growing well but the leaves are short and sticking straight up in the air and it's getting kinda crowded up there with over 7 leaves there. I was just wondering why it was doing this, it's in full bright sun with plenty of water and humidity. The leaves just seem to crowd each other for some reason in a little bunch.

Also, I looked in some leaves that had closed and reopened and there was a fly in one that wasn't flat and didn't look like it had been properly digested. The fly is dead and the trap was closed for at least 5 days. It's kind of weird that the fly wouldn't be really flat. You think maybe it's been pigging out too much? It's been eating A LOT lately.

These problems don't seem to be serious, more or less just bugging me because it seems abnormal and I worry about EVERYTHING. Though I don't think it's in any kind of danger.

You say your VFT is doing whatever it wants too??? Omigawd. Run!
LOL! Mine do whatever they want too!

Yeah! It's like they have their own personalities and are sure to act in any way to tick their owners off!! They already know how to get to me! *runs*

Chrono, I don't care what they do. The stranger the better. As long as they are healthy, that's what counts.

I'm just worried that the new traps are going to block out the old traps that still work. A really big one is going to open this week and the one behind is going to look like it's eating the big one when it opens! The really weird thing is that it wasn't growing like this last year. Last year the leaves were long and they were pressed very flat on the ground. They were also a very deep red maroon color. They're starting to change to that color now so I'm not worried about that but I was just curious if anyone knew exactly why it was doing that... I guess it is just "doing it's own thing". And I FELL FOR IT!!! GRRR!

Don't worry. It might look unattractive with traps all over the place, but it's the way they grow. Sometimes they trigger their own traps and sometimes other traps are in the way of one trying to close.

It's weird, none of my VFTs in the past have ever grown this way. Oh well.

Pictures Pittures!! PLEASE

Back