What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leaf shape and trap growth questions.

• Thread starter joossa
  • Start date

joossa

Aklys
1. My plants are growing long (about 3in) skinny leafs. They are a dark green color and seem healthy and strong. Are long skinny leafs a bad sign?
confused.gif

2. I have been noticing and observing the growth of traps. Will a little trap that just opened get bigger over time? How long does it usually take for a newly opened trap to get to its full size?

3. Is it normal for big old traps to "peel back" and not close anymore without turning black?
confused.gif
(what i mean by this is a shape that no longer resembles a mouth, it looks very open and almost peeled back, the cillia [teeth] are no longer facing each other, they are pointed away from each other) (also, the trap does not close when stimulated nor is it turning black)

Thanks for your help!

1. yep..not enough light.

2.i dont think they grow at all after they are open...

3. yep one of mine just after 1 meal did that it no longer closed after that. my others just turn black though...

Alex

Mine are skinny as well but I leave them outside. I live in Michigan wher it is warm and humid in the summers but there is a lot of overcast. Am I better off bringing them inside under artificial light?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]1. My plants are growing long (about 3in) skinny leafs. They are a dark green color and seem healthy and strong. Are long skinny leafs a bad sign?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]1. yep..not enough light.

Actually, that is incorrect. Most Dionea grow long thin petioles in summertime in order to reach the traps over the low laying grasses and weeds that they grow among in nature. Its perfectly normal and nothing to worry about. When winter dormancy rolls around they will revert to short and wide petioles and then basicly stop growing for several months.

Back