What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

leaf pullings

Do carnivorous leaf pullings work on Mexican pinguicula? I know that they work on temperate pings such as P. primulflora with great success (from 3 to 13 plantlets per leaf). What about temperate pings?

Absolutely.

wow! thanks!

So you used a dry paper towel? How long did it take?

My leaf pullings that I tried a while ago before all turned clear and descentigrated

That only happens to me when I bruise them or keep them too wet.

oh, ok then.

how much do you usually get per leaf?

thanks!

One or two. No more than three.

That's just me, and pings aren't my specialty, so I can't say what's average.

yeah, i guess the only reason as to why i get such good success with P. primuliflora is because I live in it's natural territory.

Or because it almost always self-proliferates
tounge.gif

thanks! Well i've got two of those species, and plenty of virmiculite, perlite, peat, and 'sand'.

Nice study Paul, i guess it goes to show you that Pings are quite prolific no matter what medium, and you're probably going to have plantlets no matter what you use!

I have been experimenting with Pings, and do find that a not so wet medium is best. Otherwise i tend to get leaf rot quite easily.
Peter.

unlike with warm temperate pings, which seem to dry out very easily with me.

Gr8 paper/study on pings.
Would love to see any other studies that you undertake on this genus of plants.
Lois

I've only been in this hobby for 3.5 years and have had Mexican pings for only 2.5. I have a grand total of 2 CP books and have been doing a lot of reading from them, as well as learning from the discussion forums. I have a great deal of respect from the books and the experinec of the authors, but as others have said, different authors have had success with some plants, because of their particular circumstances / climate, with their favorite soil media and favorite setups, be it open tray or greenhouses, etc.... Books are great, especially for beginners, such as myself, and provide useful guidance in a myriad of advice. But as some have shown, there are a few errors and some new techniques have been developed and a few myths dispelled and... And that's why I have the discussion forums to be an invaluable source of info.

As Joseph has said, they can flower in the winter rosette state and I happen to have a picture of one, taken this past spring:

Strausplants0281.jpg

Having said that, somewhere down the line I read that leaf pullings should be done from the non-carnivorous leaves. Okay.... I've been taking pullings from both carnivorous and non-carnivorous leaves, right along. I've tried the slightly moist media in a baggie, by an east window technique, as well as the place the leaf next to the parent plant, like a chip dip technique. They ALL work! And a few of them failed, in all four combinations.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Having said that, somewhere down the line I read that leaf pullings should be done from the non-carnivorous leaves.

I have also read many recommendations to use the winter leaves for propagation. I have used both and have had equal success with the summer leaves. Perhaps there is less likeihood of rot with winter leaves?
I usually use the middle of the rosette leaves. Those that are not too new or too old.

Happy propagating!
Peter.

Back