What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leaf cuttings

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I have never tried cuttings and was thinking about trying it with leaves whose traps have died or blackened. How do you separate it without disturbing the rest of the plant?

pull downward and get white base with the leaf. shouldn't bother it.

I have made successful leaf cuttings from VFT's that way myself. I gently peel the leaves down from the bulb of the plant, getting some of the white base. This is were the new plants will form. I place the leaf into a pot with a mix of peat moss, long fiber sphagnum , and perlite covering the white part of the leaf with the soil. I then cover the pot with a clear dome to keep the humidity as high as possible. I keep the pots in a bright lit area. The uncovered end of the leaf will start to die and blacken. Then when I think it has not worked, I notice the little VFT plants starting to grow. Does not work 100% of the time, but success rate extremely high.

how long does this take? is it like a root cutting of a drosera where it takes about a month?

rmember to spray the cutting with a fungicide to prevent fungus,

Thanks, Steve. This may seem like a dumb question, but can the bright light be sunlight? In other words, can this be accomplished outdoors or only under growlights?

I place mine outside under my table.

Thanx!

Jimscott, just remember, if you do cover your pot with a dome, make sure there is some airflow allowed to the plant.  From what I've read, VFT's don't have to have real high humidity, they just cannot be allowed to dry out.

Scott

Back