What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leaf cuttings

I stumbled across this website. The bottom left pic looks like a leaf cutting, and the pic next to it looks like new growth. Do you think that is simply a leaf cutting, or is the stem just buried in the pot so that its not visible?

link

It looks like the person just stuck a leaf in a pot-this will not grow or take root so don't bother trying it. I do see the shoot coming up so they must have cut just enough of the dormant node (where the new stalk grows from) that It grew or as you say, buried the vine. To make strong cuttings you need a piece of vine with at least 2-3 leaves growing off from it (1-2 nodes) but I've noticed on my own cuttings making too long of cuttings and burying them too deeply (over 1-2") seems to invite rot to the vine. Roots will come from the thick white flesh inside the vine and the new growth/shoot comes out of the vine from between the two leaves.

On a couple of my cuttings (3 leaves, 2 nodes), I have new growth coming out from both nodes. So what do I do with it? Do I separate the two new plants by cutting off the top half of the stem and try to get that to root?

You can seperate them (after they grow to 4" high or so) or leave them and let the plant fill in the pot.
I have noticed that sometimes the top node will dominate and the lower node quits growing but that's when the nodes have just emerged and are only 1-2 cm high. Usually once each node has 2 true leaves it will continue growing, just don't cut it off til you have some healthy growth and stalk to plant.

Thanks Josh, I'll just let the both of them grow and see what happens.
smile.gif

Back