What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

leaf cuttings turning black!

Ok sorry to keep bugging people about this but the leaf cuttings that I took about 2 weeks ago have pretty much all turned black. the base of the leaf is still white but the part that used to be green is now black. I have it in a rasberry container sitting in a tray of water. they are sitting under a 42W compact flourescent bulb for 19 hrs/day. The soil mix is 50/50 milled sphagnum moss and perlite and is wet enough that if you picked some up water would drip out of it. The bases of the leaves is about 1/6-1/8 inch below the surface. Is the blackness normal or am i doing something wrong? and if i am can i do anything to save them ??? thanks in advance

As long as most of the white end stays white you should be okay.

Larry and others take pulls quite successfully from leaves where the traps was turning black to begin with.

Most pullings start turning black withing a couple of weeks. That's normal. As long as the white end stays alive you will be fine.

It sounds like your set up is good. Give it time. It takes about a month before you can even see little nubs and almost 2 months before the first leaves will start forming...if you're lucky! I took some pullings back in March and some of them are still only little nubs, while others look like juvenile plants.

Back