What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Late season death cubes

pappydew

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me.
So my local Lowes finallly got some CPs in...picked up a purp, VFT, and a S. rubra which is a new one for me. They aren't in great shape and right now are in a more shaded area of my 15 gallon, in standing water.

A couple questions...

1) Media: Looks like they're in straight up LFS right now. I've had success with a VFT and purp in the past being in something like 50/50 sand and peat. Would that work for all three? I only have sand, peat, and perlite at my disposal right now.

2) Dormancy: should I allow them to go through it as usual this fall? I was thinking of maybe getting them to a better condition and keeping them under lights a little later. Spring here starts pretty late so I could still give them a decent dormancy period but it would be shifted back a month or two. I would be able to get them outside full time probably by mid-May. Any earlier might still be too cold...???

Anyone??

To answer question number 1 - Standard 50/50 sand/peat CP mix is a good bet with all three of these guys -
You could also try 50/50 peat/perlite or 50/25/25 peat/perlite/sand.

To answer question number 2 - As long as they get 3 months of dormancy they'll be fine - definitely get them into dormancy before the year's end for best success.

I'd get them outta the LFS you got them in, goodness knows what critters, fungus, or bad mojo those nurseries left in there. Agree with JB on your questions.

I don't know how adept you are at IDing CPs, but just a word of caution on those death cubes: I've gotten "purple pitcher plants" that look a lot like psitticina to me.

The only "purple pitcher" they had left was in one of the larger containers and was a more mature plant than I have gotten there before. I'm far from a Sarr expert but it looks like any purp I've seen, definitely not psittacina-like.

I'll plan on replanting soon in whatever I have the most of lying around. I jumped the gun and they are in my 15 gallon at the moment. Hopefully that doesn't bite me in the butt with any sort of infestation (unless whatever is there ends up as food).

For dormancy I will get them in by the end of the year. That should give them a good 4-5 months of dormancy before they are moved outside.

Back