What's new

Ladybugs

I know that most cps die from fungus, gnats, or aphids and I know that ladybugs and ladybug larvae eat aphids. So is it recommend to use ladybugs to eat the aphids or just use pesticide. I don't have any aphids but I would like to know, cause there's a field near my house that has a plant that has a alot of ladybugs and larvae and pupa but no sign of aphids or any small bug.

/end

Problem is according to Barry Rice Sarracenia eat them like candy(or the ladybugs like the sarrs as much as candy...its there choice to fall in anyhoo...
smile_n_32.gif
)

And also they have a tendency to rot the trap. Especialy in Dionea,I suspect this is due to the orange protective toxin they give off I guess when the trap closes on them they release this chemical since it must be scary to have a "harmless plant" close up on you!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Btw. we are haveing swarms of ladybugs lately. You step outside and you get covered in the darn things!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Btw. we are haveing swarms of ladybugs lately. You step outside and you get covered in the darn things!
they're getting ready for dormancy
biggrin.gif

I love it because you go places and they're all huddled together. I've even been walking by the lake and they're all huddled together in driftwood so they can get the most sun.

I remember reading in Savage Garden that Peter did try some natural pest controls (ie: ladybugs). He said that they were eaten like candy.
smile.gif

I just so happened to find a Ladybug walking around a window at the Libary. So I captured it, carried it to my dorm, and promptly feed it to my Cephalotus.

I try to save the lady bugs when possible. Those darn asian beetles imported to help protect soy crops from pests have somewhat damaged the ladybugs I think, since I don't see them around as much anymore...