What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

kudos to my bical

well, the bical pitcher is now open!
biggrin.gif
 its really small, less then an inch, but it has tiny green fangs. Also, another tendril from a different leaf just might pitcher!

p.s. that n. emmarene that wouldn't pitcher now has 2 new pitchers with another one or more on the way!

Congratulations on your bical pitcher. They look really cute when they are so young and small with their 2 pointed fangs!
Just out of interest, do you keep your bical wetter than your other nepenthes or under the same conditions?
My veitchii has also just pitchered! A beautiful pink pitcher with  a green flared rim.
veitchii,25%.jpg

Happy growing, Neil  
biggrin.gif

Neil,
I have a bical that's growing quite well on the tray method. I just let the tray stand dry a couple of days before top watering again....I top water enough to fill the tray about 1/4 to 1/2 inch (depending on how big your pot is, you may want to make that more or less).

Congrats droseradude. Mine has given me nothing but problems.

Congratulations on your new pitcher. I grow bicalc in our warmest greenhouse and in our public CP display where it also gets nice and warm. I think the the best way to grow bicalc is in pure LF sphagnum with high humidity and very warm temps. The bicalc speciman in our CP house is probably three feet across, its forming uper pitchers and starting to climb the side of the greenhouse. We have a lot of ants, so it gets fed daily from ones that visit. My avitar is a close up of ants feeding on one of the lower pitchers. A good friend and volunteer is going to be posting some great pictures of this plant very shortly. Stay tuned.

Steve LaWarre
Grand Rapids, MI
bicalc_ants2.jpg

wow, very cool picture, and plant. Cant wait for the pics.
I have one that is quickly outgrowing its enclosure.
Any tips on what to keep this potential monster in, indoors?

plant4.jpg

thats my little guy, older pic, the latest leaf is 12" long, and the pitcher looks to be a monster.

hmm. . . I can get some pics up soon. Anyway, as for watering, its on top of a jar with a depression in the middle (on a jar upside down), and, well. . . I dont have any specific day for watering, its not any wetter than my other nepenthes. Theres 2 small d. adelae and a d. capensis in the pot with it.
I dont have many neps
the n. emmarene is sitting in water
and gubler hybrids, ones sorta in water and the others sitting on peat (the pot). the bical is still small, about 4-5 inches or so. pic coming soon!

Nice photos!
Steve - just out of interest, where is your public CP display? Not that I can visit, being in Singapore but if there is a website or something I'd love to see some photos of the whole place. Is it only CP's or are there other plants as well?
Schloaty - I've also started trying the tray method. It is a very shallow tray only half a cm high but it just helps to retain the water for a few extra hours after normal watering. My first bical died when the spagnum moss dried out and despite several soakings it was the only nepenthes that didn't manage to recover. All the other nepenthes recovered fine. I read somewhere that bical lives in wetter conditions in the wild compared to other neps.
Happy growing, Neil
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (neilsingapore @ Jan. 07 2004,14:05)]Nice photos!
Steve - just out of interest, where is your public CP display? Not that I can visit, being in Singapore but if there is a website or something I'd love to see some photos of the whole place. Is it only CP's or are there other plants as well?
Thaks Neil,

The Kenneth E Nelson CP HOuse is one of the indoor gardens at Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park. We need to update the website as it doen't have any actual pictures of the CP house.

FMG sits on 120 acres and we have indoor and outdoor Gardens. Inside is a 15,000 sf, 5 story conservatory, an arid house, victorian garden parlor, seasonal display house, CP house and sculpture gallaries. Outdoors we have a perennial garden, woodland shade garden, farm garden, sculpture park native meadow, wetlands and a ton of other stuff....

Stevewww.meijergardens.org

Steve, I've just seen the thread about the gardens. It is totally awesome,.. spectacular,.. I'm sooooo green with jealousy.
How I wish I could visit,........
But keep the photos coming.
Thanks again, and happy growing, Neil

Hey,
Nice bicals everyone! Droderadude, cant see yours..........
Kevin

Hey!
Thats awesome! Its got mini fangs! Very nice job.
Kevin

Back