What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knowledge freaks

• Thread starter MiguelSR1
  • Start date
Im allowed to recommend other interesting forums right? I notice some / handful of use are in to the reading and research know as much as u can type deal. To swords, rattler, hermopolis (the ones i've seen to luv learning) and to any 1 else id like to recommend "thescienceforum.com" technical talk, cool headed peeps although sometimes conversations get real heated, eh I mean very heated mostly on the science and religion issues but hey it's a discussion and debate forum in the 1rst place, over all an excellent forum to discuss educational topics :-O They have everything, math, biology, psychology, current events, earth science, eh name it.

this and a hunting & shooting forum are all im on........occasionally visit Dendroboard which is dart frogs, mainly cause some of those guys have terrarium culture of plants down to a science...

truthfully the hunting forum is where i hang out the most, prolly spend 4 or 5 times the amount of time there than here.....argue all kinds of stuff....but if your fairly liberal bent they will chew yah up and spit yah out and not be nice about it at all.....also given that there are ppl there from all trades and walks of life it is very hard to BS your way through cause chances are there is someone there that does it for a living and has for 20 years....

this and a hunting & shooting forum are all im on........occasionally visit Dendroboard which is dart frogs, mainly cause some of those guys have terrarium culture of plants down to a science...

truthfully the hunting forum is where i hang out the most, prolly spend 4 or 5 times the amount of time there than here.....argue all kinds of stuff....but if your fairly liberal bent they will chew yah up and spit yah out and not be nice about it at all.....also given that there are ppl there from all trades and walks of life it is very hard to BS your way through cause chances are there is someone there that does it for a living and has for 20 years....
I made a resolution to balance my time between 19 to 21 different forums from no on, it's a very broad range of topics, from music to riffles to politics, chess. cars, to here, and im still looking for the perfect wine forum. membership serves as a tool for me to ask when something is unknown to me, also to get involved somehow. The hunting forum may get intense, reminds me of the cigar forum i got kicked out of cuz of some sensitive claim to know it all sissys

19-20 forums? dont you have a life? im online more than most and more than one or two main ones and a few occasionals and i cant keep up.....if you really want to learn stuff hit a library or used book store and read or better yet get out and do stuff...

want to learn chess, dont join a forum find ppl that play and sit infront of a chess board....wanna learn about rifles and external ballistics get a rifle and go shoot....get a single shot 45-70, find someone with reloading dies and have them load yah up 500 rounds of 405 grain hard cast and find yourself a field where you can shoot to 600 yards.....you will learn and retain more on ballistics that you can imagine.....

there is a whole lot of information on the net that at first glance looks real but unless you BTDT its hard to sort the good from the bad....

why i have a diverse knowledge base is cause im borderline ADHD and cant keep on one subject.....last week i was reading bout keeping afican cichlids, last night i cracked a book on fossil legends of american indians.....3 weeks ago i was reading WWII and Iraq war stuff......before that a book on the evolution of carnivorous mammals.......over the hunting season up at the cabin where there really aint TV or internet i covered South African history, history of the mountin men of the western US and the history of the Vikings......

why do i know so much bout hunting and firearms? cause i get out and do it.....working with snakes? cause ive done it......growing this and that....done it......why am i so familiar bout traplines and knew the chinese video someone posted bout 18 months ago was BS? cause ive got a buddy that runs a trap line and i have tagged along from setting the traps to skinning the yotes.......i know about farming and ranching cause ive got family that do and ive been involved.....fossils and dinosaurs? i live on the Hell Creek formation and am always looking for fossils.....

i can also read legal-eze better than most cause i read over dozens legal briefs a week from anything from firearms to hunting to open records laws aswell as all the plea bargins and charging papers of local criminals......

ive got a wide knowledge base cause i read books and get out and do stuff coupled with the fact that my brain is wired right for retaining useless facts.....my interests jump from one week to the next cause i hear something on the news and have to find out more about it.....cant get out of a used book store without spending over $100.....i cant buy bookshelves to keep up with the number of books coming in....

19-20 forums? dont you have a life? im online more than most and more than one or two main ones and a few occasionals and i cant keep up.....if you really want to learn stuff hit a library or used book store and read or better yet get out and do stuff...

want to learn chess, dont join a forum find ppl that play and sit infront of a chess board....wanna learn about rifles and external ballistics get a rifle and go shoot....get a single shot 45-70, find someone with reloading dies and have them load yah up 500 rounds of 405 grain hard cast and find yourself a field where you can shoot to 600 yards.....you will learn and retain more on ballistics that you can imagine.....

there is a whole lot of information on the net that at first glance looks real but unless you BTDT its hard to sort the good from the bad....

why i have a diverse knowledge base is cause im borderline ADHD and cant keep on one subject.....last week i was reading bout keeping afican cichlids, last night i cracked a book on fossil legends of american indians.....3 weeks ago i was reading WWII and Iraq war stuff......before that a book on the evolution of carnivorous mammals.......over the hunting season up at the cabin where there really aint TV or internet i covered South African history, history of the mountin men of the western US and the history of the Vikings......

why do i know so much bout hunting and firearms? cause i get out and do it.....working with snakes? cause ive done it......growing this and that....done it......why am i so familiar bout traplines and knew the chinese video someone posted bout 18 months ago was BS? cause ive got a buddy that runs a trap line and i have tagged along from setting the traps to skinning the yotes.......i know about farming and ranching cause ive got family that do and ive been involved.....fossils and dinosaurs? i live on the Hell Creek formation and am always looking for fossils.....

i can also read legal-eze better than most cause i read over dozens legal briefs a week from anything from firearms to hunting to open records laws aswell as all the plea bargins and charging papers of local criminals......

ive got a wide knowledge base cause i read books and get out and do stuff coupled with the fact that my brain is wired right for retaining useless facts.....my interests jump from one week to the next cause i hear something on the news and have to find out more about it.....cant get out of a used book store without spending over $100.....i cant buy bookshelves to keep up with the number of books coming in....
I do have a life and in forums i mostly read, rarely post. Forums are another means of hitting the books, to me. Im not trying to compete but yes i have TONS of books in various subjects, i hit the books crazily like u prolly do. Ive been playing face to face chess since 9 yrs old, but I cant always travel to play in tournaments unlike an online chess tournament, and yes I do study in front of a board on my desk. With the arsenal stuff that I admit to be lacking hands on experience but i will get there soon. On reptiles I only have about 3 yrs hands on but a dedicated 3 yrs. I sometimes conclude i like to know more stuff like science and art, vs business and finance, 1 might categorize that as liking to know useless stuff like u mentioned. Well not really useless but on the money side it might not get as far compared to knowing the financial world. My used book store in downtown SD just closed a few mnths ago now I have to find a different source, AH similar qualities eh? But on another note i do support your notion that hands on work is a GREAT way to learn subjects

wasnt attempting to do a competition or any of that......just pointing out why i have got the knowledge base i do.....mostly just a curious person coupled with a short attention span.....have been told by some of my past classmates that i was likely one of the smartest in the class but i graduated near the middle of the pack......why? cause my tendencies have a definitely lean towards the Anglo-Celtic heritage in my background and not the Anglo-Saxon.....my attitude as far as school and such has been why work today when i could be fishing or hunting :D could maintain a 3.5 without studying or doing school work outside of 8am to 3pm 5 days a week and had no interest of getting 4.0......even now, 10 years out of school...ill cram a 5 day work week into 3 days and spend 4 days fishing and goofing off....

as far as book stores, you should be golden in SD.....i have to travel 300 miles to find one or even a Barnes and Noble....

book learning and all is great....thats what alot of mine is, but in practice you find quite quickly what looks good on paper might not work in practice......reading about keeping snakes is great, but it really doesnt prepare you for a battle with a pissed off python that leaves yah pulling loose teeth out of your bloody forearm with pliers cause you cant find the damn tweezers :D

wasnt attempting to do a competition or any of that......just pointing out why i have got the knowledge base i do.....mostly just a curious person coupled with a short attention span.....have been told by some of my past classmates that i was likely one of the smartest in the class but i graduated near the middle of the pack......why? cause my tendencies have a definitely lean towards the Anglo-Celtic heritage in my background and not the Anglo-Saxon.....my attitude as far as school and such has been why work today when i could be fishing or hunting :D could maintain a 3.5 without studying or doing school work outside of 8am to 3pm 5 days a week and had no interest of getting 4.0......even now, 10 years out of school...ill cram a 5 day work week into 3 days and spend 4 days fishing and goofing off....

as far as book stores, you should be golden in SD.....i have to travel 300 miles to find one or even a Barnes and Noble....

book learning and all is great....thats what alot of mine is, but in practice you find quite quickly what looks good on paper might not work in practice......reading about keeping snakes is great, but it really doesnt prepare you for a battle with a pissed off python that leaves yah pulling loose teeth out of your bloody forearm with pliers cause you cant find the damn tweezers :D

Correct yes hands on is the best way to learn agreed on that, my style is to read then apply what ive read hands on like auto mechanics (well do my best to apply it hands on). U should try getting your books online Swords knows this great online store for used books i think it's called "half off". People have quoted me to be the "smart" 1 (not showing off) but in my interest i dunno i don't feel smart :( or should I say not as smart. I dunno im a different type of nerd maybe that;s the better definition of that. Or maybe im the type of nerd that doesn't fit the typical nerd looks profile with the glasses etc. it's prolly the reason i dun feel as smart just cuz i look different? eh im still hittin the books like one

im over 6 foot and am about 215 when im trim.....dont fit the nerd profile either but thats pretty well what i am....i dont consider myself particularly smart, i just have a good memory for facts which is handy for taking tests....also have a head for certain types of numbers like calculus but chemistry equations trip me up something awful....i tend to label myself as an ed-jew-mah-kated backwater hick :D most who dont know me think im some idiot redneck cause im generally dressed in ink covered ripped clothes and have ink pretty well imbedded in my hands from the solvents i use.....those that do know me love it when someone who doesnt try to show how smart they are and i can hold my own in a conversation bout most anything they wanna talk about....the school board meetings i cover for the paper get real entertaining cause the current administration is mainly ppl that know me or have taught me in school in the past....the school board is full of idiots that dont know me.....the administration think its funny as all heck when the school board tries to do something stupid or illegal and i call them on it...im sitting their looking like a mechanic that hasnt washed up before leaving work and im quoting state statutes like a lawyer...one of them aint learning to fast....

my working knowledge is better than my theoretical knowledge/artistic ability......my wife loves my working knowledge on how stuff works and how to make something work with minimal supplies....ive got a 50 year old Swedish press im keeping running with parts i can find or build via supplies at the local small town hardware store.....she likes that stuff, a new press that size is over 100 grand.....

but when it comes to problem solving in the house she dont much care for it.....im darn good at making something work, not so good at making it work and look good....she insists on "showing off" my solution to a slow drain in the basement....problem? got a house made in the 50's with the drain pipes on one side of the house two small for modern day washers and their quick dump of water.....my solution? 35 gallon garbage can with a small diameter hose coming out the bottom going into the floor drain......it works and has worked for 3 years....completely solved the problem, and its out of sight in the laundry room......however the wife dont like it cause it dont look professional, course it dont, only took me 20 minutes and $20 in supplies to fix it :D

im over 6 foot and am about 215 when im trim.....dont fit the nerd profile either but thats pretty well what i am....i dont consider myself particularly smart, i just have a good memory for facts which is handy for taking tests....also have a head for certain types of numbers like calculus but chemistry equations trip me up something awful....i tend to label myself as an ed-jew-mah-kated backwater hick :D most who dont know me think im some idiot redneck cause im generally dressed in ink covered ripped clothes and have ink pretty well imbedded in my hands from the solvents i use.....those that do know me love it when someone who doesnt try to show how smart they are and i can hold my own in a conversation bout most anything they wanna talk about....the school board meetings i cover for the paper get real entertaining cause the current administration is mainly ppl that know me or have taught me in school in the past....the school board is full of idiots that dont know me.....the administration think its funny as all heck when the school board tries to do something stupid or illegal and i call them on it...im sitting their looking like a mechanic that hasnt washed up before leaving work and im quoting state statutes like a lawyer...one of them aint learning to fast....

my working knowledge is better than my theoretical knowledge/artistic ability......my wife loves my working knowledge on how stuff works and how to make something work with minimal supplies....ive got a 50 year old Swedish press im keeping running with parts i can find or build via supplies at the local small town hardware store.....she likes that stuff, a new press that size is over 100 grand.....

but when it comes to problem solving in the house she dont much care for it.....im darn good at making something work, not so good at making it work and look good....she insists on "showing off" my solution to a slow drain in the basement....problem? got a house made in the 50's with the drain pipes on one side of the house two small for modern day washers and their quick dump of water.....my solution? 35 gallon garbage can with a small diameter hose coming out the bottom going into the floor drain......it works and has worked for 3 years....completely solved the problem, and its out of sight in the laundry room......however the wife dont like it cause it dont look professional, course it dont, only took me 20 minutes and $20 in supplies to fix it :D

yeah sometimes people might misinterpret me for a street person or street thug :p but from where im at Filipinos around my age and older are really doing street dirt, not that im glorifying it but im in SD and yes many roll this way. and I can say i grew up in the slang side but i dont drown my self in such things , i do my best to educate kids and even adults on how things are and what they could be, I like educational conversations with any 1 i encounter, not that i talk like a book page 247 but in my opinion besides living to the fullest of life what more is there besides that is the quest for knowledge, haha the eternal struggle. im not too good with handy man house work, I just never took an interest on it so far

I am also called the "smart one" in some of my classes and on the topic of the "smart one". I feel it is given to the ones that have a naturally good memory. I may have a very good memory, that doesn't mean I care much about using it. I maintain a 3.8-3.9 with out studding at all. I just do my homework and I can pass the tests with a 90-100 most of the time. I do hate school more now because each progressing grade is just getting easier. To much review from 8th grade at the moment. There is also one major weakness, I can't remember names or put them to faces. I can see your face and know who you are, but if I hear your name I can't think of who it is. (I dread handing back papers for that reason.)

As for what forums I visit, I go to ant farm and myrmecology forum, venomlist for the bees and wasps section, and I read some threads on a few others.

how long have u been in venom list? i've been there for a while

Spring, I don't usually read the threads in most of the other forums. My user name there is antcatcher11.

yeah they got people there who collect wasps and ants, dunno their names but im sure there are, i just lurk around most of the time , venomania is my sn

Back