What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

knife type?

• Thread starter Zero
  • Start date
does anyone know what type of knife this is?

I got it from a deceased friend.

PICS

knife.jpg

knife2.jpg

knife3.jpg

thanks,
Zero

It was suposed to be owned by a black ops person for a better word.
when he was buried there were no military records at all of him.
he served 2 tours in Vietnam and got his ashes spread in the place he wanted.
I only knew him for a short period of time and helped set up his computer.
What is the best way to preserve it?

Man, thats a real keeper knife. You got something special there. I knew a Marine who fought in Vietnam. I'll have to visit him before I go in the Marines sometime next year. I'll be going 0311 Infantry. Vietnam Vets has some Interesting stories to tell from there experiences. That is if they want to talk about it. He never really talked about it for the most part. I send my Respects and Honors to your friend. He will definitely not be forgotten and I most certainly appreciate his service to this great Country.
I still recommend getting like a pistol or some sort of gun, because with as much as I like that knife, if those punks have guns, It's never really good to bring a Knife to a gun fight figuratively speaking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KT3MP8TRz0s Found this vid

#1 DO NOT take steel wool or any of that to it trying to get rid of the patina.....ruins any value and the patina actually helps protect the steel from rust, with some high carbon knives i have for personal use, not collectibles though, i will accelerate the patina process with bleach or lemon juice to help protect from future rust....

#2 DO NOT store it long term in its sheath unless you live in a real, real dry environment.....leather attracts moisture, moisture means rust.....a leather sheath is for short term storage while you pack it around and can care for the knife regularly, for long term store the knife and sheath separate but keep the sheath...

clean it with warm, soapy water and a old tooth brush dry it real good, gun oil, or even normal 10W30 or 40 motor oil in a very light coat over the knife and handle to protect it....wrap in a slightly oily rag and put up in a box for long term storage.....forget what to do with the leather sheath but im sure you can scare up something on the net for long term preservation of leather that will not hurt the value....

The ontario knife company has been around a long time, they are the makers of the "old hickory" line of kitchen knives that have been popular for generations

http://www.ontarioknife.com/specplus_pg1.html

They were also the makers of the original USA mil-issue machete IIRC, I still have one of their 22" machetes, if youre in the bush they are about as good as it gets

The coating appears to be a typical mil-spec manganese phosphate parkerizing, that would make it newer then 1960, before then zinc phosphate was more commonly used (light gray finish, sometimes found with a green patina from long term storage with cosmoline).
(i have manganese phosphate parkerizing tanks in my basement)

Nice knife, but probably not mil-issue... you may write them and send a photo just in case... either way that doesnt mean he didnt buy it himself and use it in theater

They like using 1095 carbon steel, easy to sharpen and holds a good edge... but without the parkerizing, will rust easily.

You can use hot naval jelly to touch up the manganese phosphate parkerizing (old trick), just dont put it on any other surface type, apply and let set till the color matches (naval jelly contains phosphoric acid) . It will also safely remove the rust...but be patient, may require repeated applications. Main thing is do not sand or use anything aggressive

Brownell's also sells touch up paint

Av

damnnn thats a nice blade

---------- Post added at 06:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 PM ----------

that last 1 was not very helpful lol its definetly a KA-bar combat knife

Back