What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kinda new, have a question about my VFT...

pic001.jpg

pic002.jpg

pic003.jpg

Hello, I'm still kinda new at growing CPs, but am very interested. I have a few plants going and a few that just were growing pretty well then were toasted one day by the insane heat we had the other day, after that i decided to bring them inside. Anyways, the fly trap has been inside for a few days in the window with a grow light and sunshine. It had a few new traps coming in so i was happy. Problem is, these two new ones that just came in don't seem to be developing properly and are all wavy and stuff, in fact one of the older traps seems to be getting wavy as well. Now there are 5 new traps on their way out and I'm wondering if they're all going to be funky like this. They're being watered properly I think and the humidity is pretty high were I'm keeping it. I read today that they don't really need high humidity so i guess i'll leave it in a little bit dryer of a place now.

But anyways, any ideas?

Most likely the plant is simply adjusting to its new conditions. I would say put it back outside and leave it there. Moving it from outside to inside and back to outside is only going to prolong the process of acclimation.

In my experience, VFTs do the very best when I leave them strictly alone. I water them and thats about it. I don't even like to pick up the pots as I find that if I dont place it back in exactly the same spot, facing the exact same way, the plant starts trying to rotate itself to face the sun and that makes new growth look sorta mangled and ugly.

Also, if you could provide more information on where you live, what your weather conditions are like, we can better help you pinpoint the best way to go about raising your new plants.

Good luck,
Steve

Sure. I live in orlando Florida. The days are very very hot and pretty dry unless it rains and then it'll be very high humidity. I had the VFT grouped with a drosera adelae and a pitcher plant and the sundew just hated it outside. All it's dew would dry up and it'd just get screwed, and then of course my two other plants parished which where young sundews.

I would like to leave them outside but the last one i had when i was less experienced died pretty quickly out in the insane heat.

Orlando is not that excessively hot. Healthy VFTs can easlily take temps into the 110+ range. The only problem I see is the intensity of the sunlight, especially while the plants are trying to acclimate. Once you have them adjusted, you will see that they will thrive in your conditions. Take your time, do your research and ask questions and in notime you will be growing VFTs with the best of them.

Good Luck
Steve

Sure. I live in orlando Florida. The days are very very hot and pretty dry unless it rains and then it'll be very high humidity. I had the VFT grouped with a drosera adelae and a pitcher plant and the sundew just hated it outside. All it's dew would dry up and it'd just get screwed, and then of course my two other plants parished which where young sundews.

I would like to leave them outside but the last one i had when i was less experienced died pretty quickly out in the insane heat.

d.Adelae outside is a no no. Unless it is in shade, mine grow in a west Window indoors. It gets a tiny bit of very late afternoon sun so it does fine. VFTS need full sun outside all day. Slowly Acclimate any new VFT to sunlight at first, you'll be fine!

Tom

Back