What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

so, i converted my 20gallon long set-up to a 33gallon breeder which is the same length as a 55gallon but lacks height which is good since i grow primarily small plants in my personal set-up and well, something new was added.

these compact flo. lights that pump out 65watts each pushing 7,000-10,000 and there is two of them in the fixture. it also has a lunar light that comes on at night.

glass lid to maintain humidity.

ultrasonic fogger to create humidity.

now, the fogger has ceased working as i have it set in sphagnum moss that is filled with water at the bottom and well, it just doesn't create the fog anymore, just heat.

i am wondering something because my plants are being quite abnormal.

the new growths on my nepenthes come out in multiples and are deformed and the leaves before that were smaller, as were the pitchers(not maintaining size or getting bigger due to more light...no.) the pitchers are getting dramatically smaller and i am not sure what exactly is causing this.

can somewhat explain to me if it's the simply clock of mother nature that lets them now it's winter and they are slowing down in pitcher formation?

any help is appreciated.

What kind of water are you using in the resivor that your lil fogger is sitting in? ANY amount of salts in the water at all will clog those repti-therm terrarrium/pond/fountain foggers very quickly. How there could be such a difference in quality of a household humidifier and a far more expesnive terrarium fogger I don't know but the only long-lasting foggers I have are the ones in the pharmacy grade ultrasonic humidifiers. I bought a $90 mini fogger for dart frogs years ago, it quit fogging in 2 weeks, my $35 humidifier from Wal marts been chugging along for 3+ years!

However, in a space that small simply having a resivor of water will create enough humidity through evaporation to jkeep your neps happy, keep a cover on the tank. In my 75 gal lowland chamber I have all the plants sitting on eggcrate with water beneath and humidity is regulated perfectly  with no reliance on devices (as opposed to my highland chamber).
lowland1.jpg

What plants do you have in there?  What is the temperature range day/night?  How close are the plants to the lights and how long are the CF lights on?  

Other possibility small deformed new leaves could indicate thrips or mites or something.

Can you post a picture or two of the setup and maybe a closeup of some of the problem plants?

T

ps I would ditch the lunar light.. not that I think it's the problem but there is no point for the plants and is just a waste of energy.

Back