What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kilz primer water proofer

Anybody use Kilz primer on/in a wooden terrarium to seal the wood?How good does it work,and what type of paint to use as a finishing coat,bathroom paint maybe?

Jerry

Marine paint is the best route to go. There is also a marine finish. Marine products are made to withstand the intense humidity and dampness along with possible submersion.

Joe

I'll check on that thanks,I hope it does'nt cost an arm and a leg LOL.

Jerry

Jerry, I have used Kilz, and it works fine, unless you place the treated wood in a very humid tank.  I've noticed that mold has started to grow on it even though the wood isn't sitting in water.  The humidity is close to 100%....  I didn't use a finishing coat though...  One a positive note, I have a Drosera terrarium made out of wood that has been sealed with Kilz, and there is no evidence of mold, even after 9 months.

-Homer

Thanks Homer,I think I will try the kilz sealer as the marine paint is kinda high.

Jerry

Back