What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Killing them with kindness?

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
what exactly is overly humid? i have a garden-style terrarium with neps drosera, etc. the humidity is in the 80's, but it takes an exausting told on my humidifier, which is set as high as it will go. the terrarium is a 75 gallon.

so is this too humid? how low can i get it and still have perfect dew and pitcher production? in the 70's? that just seems to low.. , but hey i could be wrong.

my Drosera produce dew just fine at 40-50% humidity. lots of ppl grow there neps on window sills which would make it hard to get over 60% on an everyday basis i would think.

Rattler

would they grow BETTER with humidity in the 60?

how should i aclimate them? leave it at mid 70's for a week, then min 60's, then lower it in the 60 range?

Drosera grow better, in general, with slightly lower humidity, and my neps pitcher like crazy at between 40 and 80% humidity (Including N. aristolochioides and N. hamata). I'd say it averages about 60%, so I think you're OK with a lower setting, or even maybe no humidifier.

Capslock

its my understanding that most drosera do best in around 50%. my sundews have always stayed dewy as long as they are in bright light. as for the neps, personally i dont know. my 75 gal tank stays at 80% or so without much help from me and thats where all my neps are at the moment. i dont plan on dropping the humidity as i also have mounted orchids in there and they appreciate the high humidity.

Rattler

ha! no humidfier! my plants would be fried. without a fan to circulate the air in my terrarium, the temperatures are over 100 degrees because of my light. right the fan keeps the temps at a night 89-93 degrees. without the humidifier, the humidity is only in the 30's.

i'd like a few more replies before i do anything, but right now i think i'll keep it in somewhere between 65-75 percent.

Yeah, don't let it get into the 30s!! LOL! 65-75 sounds reasonable.

Capslock

huh ive never put a thermometer in there but my plants seem none the worse for wear. i have 2 4ft shop fixtures lighting it sitting on 2 pieces of plate glass witha 2.5x12 inch opening in the center for air circulation. the only problem i have seen is that my 'Miranda' and ventrata pitchers dont last more than about 5 or 6 weeks prolly do to their mostly highland parentage. my lowlands and 100% lowland hybrids absolutly love it. the tank isnt heated at night though and the temps drop down to 65-75 depending on time of year and other factors. the humidity in there is quite high do to the fact i leave about 1/4-1/2 inch of water covering the bottom with the nepenthes pots sitting on various things about 1/2 inch above the "high tide" mark to prevent root rot.

Rattler

well, it looks like i'll slowly lower it to 65-70 percent. thanks guys!

i talked to several people and they ALL said that their droseras grow better in lower humidity, so i guess i WAS overkilling the humidity a bit.

When your plants fry you know its too hot.
smile.gif
Best indication you can have, and unfortunately one which I always use. Well, ok, it seems to alert me to change for the better...
smile_m_32.gif
My dews produce gaint sized globules in my terrarium, without mister or humidifier. But what can I say, I live in singapore where humidity is never an issue.
cool.gif

Jason

BTW, humidity in singapore is round 50-60%, even in an apartment. Oh some days it can get up to the eighties or even the nineties!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Love tropical whether...
cool.gif

This is one of my preach topics. Drosera do not need terraria if you have humidity that averages 40-60%, and if your tanks are heating up, you should find a way to raise the ballasts of your lights off the tanks. Drosera generally do better in cool conditions. All my plants are on racks with lights mounted above them: 40-60% RH, and I have no problem with drying. In summer mine are outside in full sun. The idea that Drosera need superhigh humidity is a myth and my plants prove it.

Oh no, here they come again! Valerie, quick, bring the machette......!!!!

well that settles it, i'm lowering my humidity, thanks everybody.

as for the heat , i cant lower my ballast because its areound 4 or 5 feet away from the lights on the floor. the ballast isn't what causes all the heat, it's the auctual fluoro lights.

Back