What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keeping medium fresh

I have this huge bag of canadian sphagnum peat moss and I'm worried that it won't last long without getting moldy. The reason I thought of this is because I went to use some Miracle Grow Cacti soil and the surface of it was covered in these yellow green fluffy mold balls. I just mixed it around a little bit before using it because I don't think cacti and succulents are that particular about mold but I'm pretty sure a CP wouldn't like it. Should I keep my sphagnum somewhere cold? It's a HUGE bag and it's hard enough to lift so I really don't know if I have a place for it. I just have it sitting along the wall in my room.

I think I should buy those dry peat moss bricks for obvious reasons but I've never seen them before, where do I get them? Lowes? Home Depot?

Thanks,
()Kyle()

I have a bag of it... I just don't dampen it untill it is ready for use and then i have no problem... If i do dampen too much, i just fluff it every couple of days in the bucket untill it drys. Never had a problem. OH, it is stored inside...
Andrew

And how do I let it dry out? I'm afraid if I leave it open it will get contaminated by something... Like gnat eggs..

just put it out in the sun. don't worry about contamination. even if it does, i always microwave my media before i use it to kill (or try to atleast) any spores.

I wouldn't worry about it as you are going to be keeping the soil wet anyways for the CPs right? I'd just keep it in a sunny spot. I leave my bales of people outside to experience the weather.

Just put it in a bag and leave it somewhere dry, like your basement or garage. I've still got a prepared batch of media that I made last year with no problems at all.

It's a plastic bag so it's pretty much air tight. So if I just leave it alone it will be ok?

I just keep mine in a utility room that adjoins our screened in porch, where it is dark, dry, and now hot. Never had any problems with moisture, contamination, or critters.

Cool....but...I still wonder how that moldy stuff got into my cacti soil bag.... Maybe it was from the Miracle Grow plant food... Eh oh well, thanks everyone.

Back