What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keeping Dart Frogs. ??????

Well say 6 months ago and like a year ago I wanted to keep dart frogs then sorta forgot then came back. From what I have read so far you can keep them in a 10 gallon tank using a substrate(a certain brand of potting soil with pebbles) there are terrestrials and the guys that like it higher up. They need high humidity,misting and so on. The clincher for keeping them is food fruit flies are the choice food and culturing is sorta easy right ???
So is it a viable idea ? Are they just hard to keep and I should keep say typical Cuban tree frogs ? Are the captive bred frogs in general expensive ?
So long story short I'd like to do a 10 gallon setup with the Dart Frogs that enjoy it higherup and will put a good amount of time and some money into getting started.

Alright there nice but expensive I think The American Red Eyed Tree Frog is a much better choice...

Or the dart frogs could be the food for your neps and hop in and Gulp your nep is feed for a nice long while. But yeah i also have always wanted to keep dart frogs, where are you thinking of buying them from?
Thanks
-Ryan

One question is have you ever kept any frogs as pets, not just keeping a few tadpoles and watching them turn into frogs and letting them go, I mean for an extended period of time. If not, I would suggest going for something a little easyer. I have had my Whites tree frog for about 7 years now and I have to say hes pretty low maintenence. Also, green tree frogs and firebelled toads make good first frogs. Whatever your choice may be, I would defantatly read up on whatever you get before you get it.

Shawn

Hmmm ok cool thanks for helping out. Hey shawn could you maybe post a pic of your frogs living enviroment?

Thankls

Ryan

No Shawn I haven't I have had some lizards when I was little but thats it. After some research there harder and I need to try something easier that is active and easy.
Then I could work off of that since I think frogs would be kinda fun for another hobby.
Oh I had a firebellied toad :D I remember like 6 years ago ...
So I'll research but a frog that enjoy being active enjoys being high up would be perfect. I was thinking about the typical American red eyed tree frog there nocternal though so I'm wondering why many people keep them

http://www.brianstropicals.com/building.html\
This guy keeps lots of frogs in ten gallons
basement2.jpg

Wow ! thats alota tank ,
Dm I have room in my growcloset and I have an extra tank and screened lid..
I think the Tpical tree frog is my best bet since I jsut want something to have fun with not a full on addictive hobby(well maybe it will be addictive)

http://www.brianstropicals.com/building.html\
This guy keeps lots of frogs in ten gallons

Quote directly from his site: "Finally getting some frog tanks installed! The four on the left are 40 breeders. All the rest of the tanks in the room are 20H tanks stood up vertically (there's one row of horizontals)."

Whatever you get I would say tank wise, the bigger the better. Its not really fair to the frogs to keep them in small tanks. For a tree frog of any kind I would say 20 gallon+, unless their young, then its alright to keep them in somthing abit smaller, but the you have to get a bigger tank when they get older.

JM- Ive never heard of an american red eyed tree frog. Do you mean a south american red eyed tree frog. Ive heard there a bit finiky so I would suggest a Whites tree frog. Their easy to take care of and live for a long time.

I will post some pics of my frog setups tommorow.

One question is have you ever kept any frogs as pets, not just keeping a few tadpoles and watching them turn into frogs and letting them go, I mean for an extended period of time. If not, I would suggest going for something a little easyer. I have had my Whites tree frog for about 7 years now and I have to say hes pretty low maintenence. Also, green tree frogs and firebelled toads make good first frogs. Whatever your choice may be, I would defantatly read up on whatever you get before you get it.

Shawn

point of fact firebelly toads dont necessarily make great beginners frogs......they like it cooler than most other types for sale. the vast majority of fire belly toads sold in pet stores die within a year due to heat stress.

for the most part dart frogs are as easy as most. the problem arises in the fact that most are smaller than most other frog species kept. smaller frogs means they go less time between feedings.......doesnt take to many missed feedings and they starve to death.....their food can be easy or a pain in the rear. most of the time culturing fruit flies is no biggy but you occasionally run into problems.

another thin is a 10 gal is kinda small......yes it can work but its not ideal.......take the imitators i had for example......i had 3 of them in a 35 gallon tank, each being under an inch long and they used EVERY SINGLE SQUARE INCH of the tank.......had i given them a 55 gallon they would have used all that......yes they are a small frog, but a small frog used to patrolling a good sized territory......

which brings up another issue, all species are territorial, some more so than others.......the tinc group is really bad, in a 10 gallon you can keep one of either sex, a pair or two males.....two females are HIGHLY likely to kill each other.......with some species such as aurutus or leucs the fighting generally isnt as intense but you always have to watch and be ready to pull a frog out thats getting bullied to much or it will die..........

also these frogs are master escape artists, if your tank is not escape proof they will get out, and escapee is usually dead within about 6 hours depending on the environment in the room where you keep them.......

point of fact firebelly toads dont necessarily make great beginners frogs......they like it cooler than most other types for sale. the vast majority of fire belly toads sold in pet stores die within a year due to heat stress.

I guess I should have mencioned that I keep mine with way less heating then my other frogs. I belive that they do make good beginer frogs because they dont require a ton of heating. This is why its so importaint to read up on whatever species you want to get. Amphibians are really sensitive to their envoroment, and all require slightly different temps, humidity, lighting, ect.

Back