What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kairflow vs humidity

So the new terrarium (neps and drosera) is going great by all appearences, but a couple questions. I have a small sprite fan (computer cooling fan) inside to circulate air. When I ran it constantly, the humidity got as little low as the terr. is not perfectly sealed up. So I added broader trays for evaporation, and set the fan to operate 1/2 hour out of every 2 hours. Problem solved, but is that enough airflow to keep fungus at bay? alternately I could get into a fogger or somesuch, but it currently runs between 60 and 80% R.H., and temps from 60 to 105 F (when it was really hot here).
How effective are the decorative fogger-type deals, or what kind of affordable setup works for using evaporative media through which air is drawn (this is only a 16 cu. ft. terrarium)?

What plants are you growing in your terrarium? I can speak for Drosera and Dionaea and say that trying for such humid conditions is overkill for these genera which thrive under good light at 40-60% average humidity.

i like to run my fan during the day -14 hours- continously untill nightfall when the lights and humidifier go out. i can't speak for the ultrasonic fogger things since i have a realy room humidifier that keeps the tank in the low 60's via a tube. my fan is powerful enough to make the scapes on my plants as well as tall leaves such as sarracenia sway. (i know sarracenia are temperate, but x. wrigleyana colors up great in my terrarium and i take it out in the winter)

In the terrarium are N. Ventricosa, Ventrata, Maxima, and Gracilis (they're the reason for making it) plus D. Multifida and Binata (just for the light; any windowsill is visited enthusiastically enough by two cats that the drosera look like Chewbacca) and a VFT. The problem was that the natural light disappears in the summer with shading from our trees.
So anyway the humidity is for the neps... does that set off any alarms for ye?

you have three types of neps, in one tank, lowland, highland, and intermediat. these all like different environments. and 105 is way too hot.

humidity should be high, but i keep mine in the low 60's to make the drosera happy.

Good to know; they all have been doing OK together so far; pitchering well etc. There are good variations in the tank, especially with the fan on only intermittently. Any advice on who likes it hot/cool/humid/less humid?

gracilis likes it hot and humid or atleast my clone does. my ventrata is growing with my gracilis and is doing fine. dont have ventricosa or maxima but they are supposed to be highlands with the ventricosa tolerating intermediate conditions. if your plants look fine i would leave them but i would keep a close eye on the maxima. if your temps take a nice dip at night they are prolly fine. but constantly warm will prolly take its toll on the maxima. just my 2 cents

Rattler

there is a lowland clone of maxima, if your current highland clone (assuming that's what it is) doesn't work out, you can try that.

Back