What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi everyone, new to the boards. I have always been a fan of growing various plants, cactus mostly, but recently got into some cp's. Seems like a heck of a lot of fun, and it looks like there is a lot of great knowledge + info on the boards, look foward to joining in.

As for what I've got going, I built myself a terrarium in a 2'x1'x1' aquarium, and put mirror tiles facing inward on all four sides, and have three flourescents in the top, ranging from 4500-6500K. Just to make it more fun, im trying to grow most everything from seeds. Aside from a Dionaea, "green" and a Red Nepthenes of some sort (ventricosa), everything else is from seed.

The couple unknown variety sarrencia seeds I stratified last winter and planted in spring are up and about 2', so thats about it for now for seedlings. Also have about 120 mixed sarrencia seeds stratifying, several variesties of flytrap and some sundew ( D. stolonifera) sown in the last two weeks .

Welcome to TF!

:welcome: I don't care for cactus too much since it's all over here... but oh well. Glad you found something better to grow! :D

Welcome! Another addict...I mean, hobbyist! hehe

You probably don't need that much lighting on your terrarium. But I guess that depends on what type of fluorescents you're talking about. I use shop lights but I know those compact fluorescent bulbs are gaining in popularity.

You've come to the right place. Jump into the mix and have fun. :)

Sounds like your off to a great start with growing CP's, Welcome.

Cacti are fantastic! I don't grow too many, but my neighbor is a pro, cause that's like all he grows. Welcome to Terraforums!

Welcome to the forum! I ripped out an annual garden during the early part of the drought this summer and planted a small succulent garden around my mailbox. It's rained almost every day since then. (sigh) Yuccas, sedums and a couple of hardy cacti. Just another prickly problem to deal with. (sorry)

Welcome to TF.

Sounds like you have a good set-up going. Congrats on trying to grow everything from seed...not only is it multitudes more rewarding (especially with Nepenthes), but it helps to preserve the genetic diversity of a species.

Ive tried cacti and the just were to boring.
You a lucky ya finally found the right plants to grow.:-D

Cacti are fantastic! I don't grow too many, but my neighbor is a pro, cause that's like all he grows. Welcome to Terraforums!

Welcome! Good to see your having fun with your CPS

I'm not walking into your neighboors yard

Where I'm from in upstate NY(zone 4) there are some succelents that can be grown outdoors, but no cactuses, so I grew em because I had never seen them.

As far as lighting goes PlantAKiss, I certainly am still experimenting. The one flytrap I did buy I damaged with too much sunlight outside, so I went with the terrarium. So far the flytrap recovered nicely and is growing vigorously, and some seedlings are up so Im satisfied with this setup for now, but very watchful for overheating/lightburn.

Welcome aboard! That is cool that you are growing everything from seed. Most people don't have the patience to only have seedlings although I imagine it is very rewarding.

xvart.

Back