What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just some pics

• Thread starter Pyro
  • Start date

Pyro

N=R* fs fp ne fl fi fc L
Was at ABG yesterday and took some shots I thought everyone might like

P8130018.jpg

P8130026.jpg

P8130027.jpg

P8130028.jpg

P8130023.jpg

P8130020.jpg

And I know they are not Neps but it is still kind of cool. They are having a bloom of some freshwater jellyfish in one of the outdoor ponds. (Sorry for the crappy quality, it is hard to photo through water)

P8130008.jpg

P8130010.jpg

Those aren't "just some pics"! Those are great pics! :boogie: Wow, look at the jellyfish! Thanks for sharing Pyro :-D

man!!! How did u get jellyfish in a pond?? :p

Those are some nice pictures! I didn't even know there were freshwater jellyfish.

Nice pics ! and... tell us more about those jellyfish, never heard of them in living in fresh water...

Freshwater jellyfish are pretty common from my understanding. I know they're native to Arkansas. There's a lake about 45 minutes or so from where I live that a lot of the diving schools use for open water dives and the jellyfish are usually seen there.

I also find those jellies in ponds here in CA that have a recent bloom of algae. A marine biologist at The Monterey Bay Aquarium told me that these jellies spend most of their lives as larvae and only emerge in the adult stage when food is abundant...which also triggers breeding cycles. He also said that some of the larvae can take 10 to 13 years to reach the mature stage.

That N. muluensis X lowii is fantastically macabre. I much prefer it over either parent on it's own!

wait...which is muluensis x lowii??? great pics pyro!
Alex

Nice pics Pyro! Hope the two Rons are still there and in fine fettle! ABG is a lovely garden, run in the true spirit by people who care a lot about their plants and biodiversity in general.

I must say, those are some great shots of Lowii's. The jellyfish are really interesting!

oh nice shot! great n.lowii and jellyfish.
thanks for sharing.

wait...which is muluensis x lowii???

Was wondering that myself LOL

The first pic is, obviously, lowii

The next 3 are a different lowii, lowers pitchers.

After that is a lowii x ventri

And I forget the last one. I want to say singulana but a part of me is saying I am recalling wrong.

@ Rob: The Rons are indeed still there and in great form. As you say, ABG is a great place, I am there at least twice a month, usually more often. As is evident by my 4 year old daughter refering to it as her gardens LOL

How big do they get?

The specimens I have seen ranged in size from a small pea to a nickle with most being about the size of a dime. They were also as clear as glass.

Beautiful pics thanks for sharing~
Bolinas, marshall, and inverness california have thousands of jelly fish that wash up on the bay shores all together at the same time ~ I can't remember what time of year this happens but its a trip. couldn't take a step with out SQUISHY SQUISH the FISHY FISH

Back