What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just how lucky are we?

Ill start from the beginning with this, since it covers a couple of topics having to do with my highschool here in Washington.
Earlier this year, beginning of winter/late fall time frame our Marine Biology class took a trip down to a pond to observe local wildlife and plantlife. this pond requires a bit of a hike through some bushs, trees, and small patch of woods. 1 day later, before the other Marine Biology class headed out, the Junior High next door reported a black bear or brown bear in the area (dont remember which it was) and the school was basically placed on lock down.

Today - on the way to the school, upon arrival deer were spotted in the Junior Highschool parking lot, and wandered over into our highschool parking lot. 1 hour later, a mature male buck was found dead with puncture wounds in its neck. we were told at first it was a cougar, and once again placed on lock down. We later heard from the principal, that it was a coyote. Which is incredibly unlikely if you ask me, as coyotes hunt in packs, and would have left more than just puncture wounds on the neck. i still believe it was a cougar. much better a deer than a student, what ever it was.

Our school is just a mile or so from some mountains, and faces Mount Rainier....Who's great idea was it to place schools in the middle of the woods?! lol

We got had to stay inside during 3rd grade because someone saw a fox, it turned out to be a turkey. :crazy:

Today - on the way to the school, upon arrival deer were spotted in the Junior Highschool parking lot, and wandered over into our highschool parking lot. 1 hour later, a mature male buck was found dead with puncture wounds in its neck. we were told at first it was a cougar, and once again placed on lock down. We later heard from the principal, that it was a coyote. Which is incredibly unlikely if you ask me, as coyotes hunt in packs, and would have left more than just puncture wounds on the neck. i still believe it was a cougar. much better a deer than a student, what ever it was.

Our school is just a mile or so from some mountains, and faces Mount Rainier....Who's great idea was it to place schools in the middle of the woods?! lol

coulda been in a fight with another buck........its not common but occasionally they wont tangle up just right and the horns of one will puncture the other one.........run across a few dead ones like that

coulda been in a fight with another buck........its not common but occasionally they wont tangle up just right and the horns of one will puncture the other one.........run across a few dead ones like that
lol yeah i didnt think of that really. but the wounds were supposed bite marks...who knows, with all the cougars, coyotes, and bears being seen around here lately, could be anything....

We got had to stay inside during 3rd grade because someone saw a fox, it turned out to be a turkey. :crazy:

lmao how do you get a fox mixed up with a turkey?!

given the mix ups ive seen i wouldnt doubt there is a screw up on someone in identifying it as a bite mark versus an antler wound......antler wounds can look like they were made by a big set of canines.....we had a mountain lion running around here this fall.....you wouldnt believe the number of ppl that cant tell a cougar track from one from a dog.......also looked over a few bite marks some swore were cougar.....nope just a dog........

don't all big cat prints not have claws, but wolves and dogs do?

basically.....there are other differences.....be surprised at how many ppl that have dogs and cats cant tell which made what rack in their yard though

Back