What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just divided and repotted my Cephalotus

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
I took a hobby knife and divided my Cephalotus and transplanted it into a larger pot.

I will bet $9.86 that the plant will go into shock. I hope I don't lose it

Good luck, I'll keep my fingers crossed for it to pull through.

I just repotted my cephs. One seems fine, the other has is aborting about half its pitchers. Treated both the same. But I think they'll both pull through. Cephs can be tougher than given credit for, so yours will likely be fine after a while.

The leaves are rotting away fast

The leaves are rotting away fast

are they actually "Rotting" or turning yellow and dying? I had my ceph go into shock and turn yellow and die, but eventually everything grew back from the roots.

are they actually "Rotting" or turning yellow and dying? I had my ceph go into shock and turn yellow and die, but eventually everything grew back from the roots.

The bases of the leaves are turning black and when I gently tug the leaf, it falls right off

The bases of the leaves are turning black and when I gently tug the leaf, it falls right off

Yeah, that's definitely rotting....:-(

Shock is normal to some extent. Just baby it and keep it damp but not wet. I'm going to suggest trichoderma for any time you mess with repoting or dividing a ceph. I did 3 recently and lost only a few leaves and pitchers. Before potting I put a good amount of the trichoderma in the hole. Awesome stuff ! Do a search of threads here and you can find someone that sells the stuff !

sending happy thoughts.. I know EXACTLY what your going through.

I will second the recommendation for using trichoderma.
It is worth the cost, and I too have had enough success with it to also recommend it!

Also, if your plant is rotting, it seems it is too moist now...
and if giving it attention means misting it or watering it more often, you may be adding to the problem.

Good luck.

I just did an emergency transplant. I changed the soil (with the previous soil, it was too sandy aka heavy), so I replaced the soil with mixture of 1 part peat and 2 parts perlite (for a more airy mixture).

On top of this, I replaced the plant with one of my healthier cuttings. When I uprooted the previous plant, it basically fell apart. I planted the remains in other pots in the hope that they may take root or something.

In the meantime, I'm focusing all my attention on this new cutting. It doesn't have much root system, but with a better soil (and not as wet as the other one), and more light, I hope to have some success in keeping this species in my collection.

Back