What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Judith finn

I have a nep that came fron gubler's. I posted pics a while back in another thread. Several people on here think it is a judith finn. This plant has been growing really slow, and the 1st. pitcher turned brown before it was done growing.
I noticed the sphagnum was all rotted and stinky so a month ago I repotted it in 30% peat, 30% perlite, and 30% LFS.
It looks a little better, it is growing a new pitcher, but the pitcher is only 3/8 of an inch long when the lid opened.
It is growing with a ventricosa a ventrata, and a sanguinea, which are growing great.
I also have a coccinea which is inside the house and it is growing much better now too.
I know that judith finn is a hybrid of n. spathulata(highlander) and n. vetchii(lowlander).
My question is, do you guys treat it as a highlander or lowlander?
I am thinking maybe it should be with the coccinea.
What do you think?

I grow mine as a highlander since both parents are highlanders as well.

preferably highland.. although the growth you notice could be related to the condition of the plant. How much root system did it have when you repotted? Sounds like from your description that the roots were in bad shape. Glad to hear it's recovering as well but it will take considerably longer than 1 month for it to get back up to speed.

Tony

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]How much root system did it have when you repotted?
The plant is about 4 inches in diameter and when I repotted, the roots (to me anyway) looked really small, about 1/2 inch root ball after carefully removing the rotten stinky sphagnum.
heres a pic when I first got it.
nep1RS.JPG

I noticed before I repotted it that when I would water it, the water running out the bottom was brown, not clear. I would run distilled water through it and it kept running brown. Thats why I repotted it.
Heres a couple new pics taken tonight.
gubler%20nep1%20oct14rs.JPG

and another...

gubler%20nep2%20oct14rs.JPG

The plant looks pretty good considering. I think it was a wise move to repot into something with better aeration and drainage. Now it's just a matter of patience.
smile.gif

Tony

Try not to keep it too wet, just like a damp sponge is how i think of it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] just like a damp sponge
that's a good way to put it
music-smiley-005.gif

That's what the soil feels like.....I water only every 4 days or so.

Looks like it is realy comeing al9ong well! I`m treating mine as a highlander ATM.

I think I'll keep the plant with the other highlanders. it is growing and starting to develop new pitchers. Heres the pitcher on the first new leaf to grow since I got it.
1st%20new%20gubler%20leaf%20pitcher1rs.JPG

There is also another new leaf beginning to unfurl.
Do all judith finns have those yellowish/reddish green leaves? All the pics I have seen look like that.

Mine does. It all depends on your lighting though,i`d imagine as well as the sspecific plants genetics.

Back