What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joe and joe

• Thread starter Copper
  • Start date
If this set of storms has not reached you yet, get everything you need to inside. We were just beaten to a pulp. I can't even estimate the damage. The hail is baseball sized and the rain is torrential. That is just the first line. They are three more on the close radar.

Every patrol unit is damaged, some severly (not to mention my own cars. As the plants go I was incredibly lucky. I put a heaviy duty shade cloth over most of it and only a couple of plants were blown to kingdom come.

Historic buildings had all their windows blown out, at least. Street light sections were litterally blown apart. It is going to be a long night.

smile_m_32.gif
I been watchin, Omaha rarely gets hit with serious punches. Too many buildings by the time it makes it to where I'm at. Millard and Pappillion and Elkhorn get hit pretty hard and Council Bluffs across the border but not Omaha very often. Though last night I had to lay down my 16'er (my largest cactus) so the wind wouldn't blow it over. Lincoln might catch it good, Hey Joe, how's it go south of here?

Joe

I forgot to ask; are you folks done with it yet or is it still on it's way through? I seen purple on the radar in several places - Take care

Joe

Well, we got through it, but we were declared a state emergency area. Governers coming today. What a mess.

That storm system hit us.  It wasn't packing nearly the wallop it had when it hit you all though.  Some hail but nothing greater than the size of a pencil eraser. I originally thought we had about 2" of rain but our gauges say 3" plus. The winds were the worst and several tall pitchers of mine were broken in half. I managed to get them all inside which was a good thing as the wind gusts were hitting 60mph and many more would have been damaged had I not moved everything into my kitchen.  One major oversight, I had my aquatic Utrics outside floating happily in assorted glass containers.  The rains came and the water in my containers washed the Utrics up and out and all over the patio. I gathered up what pieces I could but it was virtually impossibly finding little green whisps of Utric at the edge of the patio in the green grass. Ugh, I could just shoot myself for that one.  How stupid can you be?  To think I conscientiously chose to put my aquatic Utrics in bowls on the patio so that I could better monitor them as opposed to directly in to ponds. I hate to say live and learn but that was really a very poor choice on my behalf.  I had the water up to the rim of every glass container so needless to say even a half an inch would have flooded out my plants.  Next time, they go straight in to a pond or I leave at least an inch of extra room.

Live and learn, Laura!
smile_n_32.gif
Sorry, just had to say.
biggrin.gif

That sucks about your plants, everyone. Sometimes you just can't help it and nature takes its course. Just to remind us. I am sure you will get all the generosity and help you will need on the forum though.

Man I almost don;t believe this stuff keeps happening in America...the strongest winds we got over here isn't even worth quoting...
biggrin.gif
Well but we do have lightning, and lots of it at that.

Jason

And you guys always say that Canada has bad weather!HA,nothing but sun here
smile.gif
But I feel bad and I hope everyone is alright.~Niki~

Nothing but sun the the stupid..I mean sunshine state.
But speaking of bad wheather a few weeks ago I did convince soemone at the checkout line of windixie that rain and overcast skys were caused by the moon being to close to the earth adn hitting it (the rain was parts of the moon falling off). The sad thing is they beleved me and the kid workign teh counter was very confused. I remember this only bcause I saw that kid yesterday and he told me when he asked his teacher about the moon hitting the mountains all aroudn us and falling apart to cause rain she said it was not true and had to prove it to him. Man, people will beleve anything. No wonder people thing Micahel Crition (Sp?, ah well who cares?) novel about Tsunamis causeing global warming is true.

Oh, that guy. The global warming is not really happening, all these scientists are just lying to you guy. Bleeeauuuugh.

The hail that hit my area of town got up to baseball sized and you can tell it when you look at the vehicles and our pup up camper. Well, as I said the greenhouse plants made it through, oh, but the bog! and the trees! and the vines! and my little flower gardens! ouch! But at least it was the weather and not the cause off a man made mistake.

Dang, that's rough, Copper! Been there! The first year my dicentra came up, all ready to bloom...a hailstorm beat them to a pulp!

April, you only live an hour away from me. You had to have gotten hammered with the rain and the high winds too. I've got tall pitchers that are snapped right off... I missed pulling in a pot in the corner of S. flava var. maxima. Other pitchers were bent over and I may have to stake them. Didn't you get the hail and high winds?  You had to have gotten them. Your plants were all by the side of your garage. Did the neighbor's fence and all that overgrowth he's got create a wind break or did you haul your plants inside in time?  How did you escape damage to your plants?  

Copper, you got it ten fold worse than me. Cars, the pop up camper, and plants. Great, as if you needed any more insurance companies to deal with and I know you will have a separate deductible for each vehicle and the pop up camper as we had to deal with hail damage to our cars a few years ago and they charged us a deductible per vehicle. $500 was better than paying for almost 3k worth of body work and paint per vehicle though. Gosh, as if you needed more paperwork from insurance companies after being sick.

Back