What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jim Miller's CP DVD

I received my DVD from Jim and with great anticipation watched it last night. I was moved by the photos and video footage. To know that most of those sites and plants no longer exist; gas stations and KFC restaurants stand where these plants once were, was profoundly saddening. The beauty of these sites was diverse and spectacular and the ping planifolia and ionatha were beyond belief. The natural variation of the sarracenia hybrids and various forms were like nothing I have ever seen, except when Jim and I ventured into the field to film and I saw it for myself. As Jim states on the DVD, many if not all the mega acre sites are gone and this maybe the only visual documentation of some of these sites. This fact alone makes this DVD a 'must have.' We say these places are disappearing in the wake of progress but, I don't think any of us have a comprehension of just how quickly these ecosystems are going. Now, if you are expecting a glitzy, National Geographic presentation on DVD, this is not that but instead an artful and at times a gritty field documentation of these rapidly disappearing fragile ecosystems set to music and natural sounds. I think it was well worth the money and a bargain at that. I also want to thank Jim for under taking this project and all the personal time and effort he has put into it. He has a love and passion for these plants and it comes through in the video. I was honored to be an active participant and contribute to this noteworthy project. Jim, I look forward to driving "Miss Daisy" as we venture back this spring to do Vol. II and once again visit these incredible, vanishing, sites.

Brooks Garcia, Atlanta

This sounds like one great video. unfortunately I didn't have the money at the time to preorder it. Things are still slow at work and I'm still short of cash, but I do plan on getting it later if I can.
I agree with you on the speed that these sites are disappearing. Unless you live in one of these fast growing areas, you don't have a clue. I think the estimate is that 95% of all of the cp sites in North America are already gone, And the last 5% is going very fast. If you take a look in the conservation station forum, you'll see a tiny bit of what is going on. I have done alot of work trying to save the last remaining sites, but in the end I think we're just delaying the extinction.
In ohio I have been to quite a few cp sites. The big difference between ohio and the cp site in the south is that in the south there are alot of unexplored sites. You never know when you'll turn a corner and see a hugh field of pitcher plants. In Ohio all the remaining sites seem to be protected. They are all in state parks, or under control of conservation originations. At first when you think that that's a good thing, but then you realize that the protected sites are just the sites that were saved before being destroyed. I hope that I never live to see that happen to the sites in the south.
Sorry to get off subject but I think everybody here that truly loves cp's should get involved in saving them. If you haven't read the conservation station forum, you should and write to the address that are listed there.

Also, the money from the sale of these DVD goes to The Nature Conservancy to help protect the last remaining sites. Think about it.

It's worth that much just to know that your money went to save some of the last remaining sites.

How do you get one? Unfortunatley, I don't have a DVD player.

Back