What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jerry Garcia postal stamp petition

I would very much like to see a U.S. Postal stamp issued to honor Jerry Garcia. It is required that a citizen be deceased for ten years before a petition may be made. It's been a decade now since this great musician has passed from our world, and the time has come where we may honor the life he gave to the enrichment of so many for so long. For those who followed the Grateful Dead in their 30+ year incarnation, 'nuff said. Here is the link:

http://www.petitiononline.com/Garcia/petition.html

and please pass it on as much as possible if you care to be a part of this. I'm not sure of how many sig's are needed but the more the better! If you have letters after your name, please include them in your signature.

Thanks in advance to all who would help!

A few facts about the career of Jerry Garcia: unlike many of his contemporaries, he did not use music as a vehicle to express his philosophy or political leanings. It was always about the music. He could have used his fame and renown to endorse this or that viewpoint, made political statements, endorsed products to his profit, but he always refused to do these things. Unlike other bands, the Grateful Dead encouraged "bootleg" recordings, and as a result left one of the largest bodies of live recorded music ever as a legacy to those who were there, and are to come. If you haven't experienced it, I hope that you will someday! In a long life of many good things, the Grateful Dead was the cream of joy for me, and if there is a heaven it will look a lot like a Grateful Dead concert. I already have MY ticket, I'm just waiting on a ride.

whats so great about him? my dad LOVES the Grateful dead but did he DO anything? i'd be more than happy to sign if he auctually did anything besides sing.

It was more his philosophy, rather than his singing. Like Tamlin said he encouraged bootlegging. He wasn't in it for the money, and he didn't want the record companies profiting off his music. The music was for the people, not corporate America. Although I was/am not a big fan of the Dead's style of music, I did like their way of thinking and philosophical outlook. Even today there are so many good musicians out there, but they don't fit the "image" and as a result you'll never hear of them.

so... they didn't do anything then.

Personally, I'd worry about mail carrying a Jerry Garcia stamp. A letter would just meander about without ever actually going anywhere.

lol Bruce.  It would probably have thousands of other letters following the Garcia stamp to every postal destination.  
laugh.gif

There have been many musicians, artists and poets who have been honored with a stamp.  For all of those people, would you just as easily say..."What did they DO?  They just played an instrument." "They just wrote some poems."..."They just made some paintings."  You can always reduce any famous icon to a simple statement.  Martin Luther King..."Well he just made a speech."  You have to know the history a little better I guess to understand who is worthy of honor and who isn't.

Jerry Garcia and the Grateful Dead are American icons whether you liked their music or not.  They are a part of music history as well as a history of deeply devoted, dedicated fans from all walks of life following and gathering to share the total experience of good music, brotherly love and a plain ol' good time.

So why not honor another music legend?  There have been many honored in the past and will be many more in the future.  Let Jerry stand among them.

JLAP, do any artist/philosophers DO anything? Beethoven? Picasso? Plato?

Jerry Garcia meant a lot to a lot of people, and provided an example to everyone that money isn't everything, and that sharing the gift of music doesn't have to come via Clear Channel.

Count me in!

Capslock

JLAP, Did you do anything?? What are your accomplishments?? Jerry was a good man, and it was a pleasure knowing him and his ideals. Never had the stuff to play guitar with him (intimadated), but the man was the best. He deserves a stamp in recognition and honor for his contributions to the music world. In the meantime, JLAP, go do something so I can push for a stamp for you!!!!

It's OK for Elvis to be on a stamp and who can possibly be shaken by Sir Paul McCartney.   But isn't Jerry on a stamp more like seeing Mick Jagger being knighted?  That only proved Gimmie Shelter & Sympathy for the Devil were just songs and meant nothing more than Start Me Up.  I used to like thinking there was more to them.

I'm no fan of Jerry and just deleted a couple sentences to spare everyone my opinion of his place in music.  But if I cared about that whole Dead thing, I wouldn't want him or them appearing on a stamp.  It's wrong.  But if that's to be his fate, at least we won't be facing a vote whether to show a young, dangerous Jerry or an old, sequinned Jerry.  He was never dangerous and never lost the t-shirt.

I was never a dead head, but I do like some of the deads songs. I even had the pleasure of hearing Tamlin playing and singing "Casey Jones", one of my favorite songs, for not so obvious reasons. LOL
Anyway I can respect any man that stuck to his belief and turned down millions of dollars. How many of you would do that?

I agree with some of what you wrote, Herenorthere. The Dead were just not dangerous enough for me.

Jerry Garcia was not by any means a poor, struggling musician. I believe he lived in a real nice house and drove a very expensive car. Didn't he get busted once in his top of the line Mercedes? Yes, he could have been alot wealthier.

His music meant a lot, to a lot of people. It meant absolutely nothing to me, I dont' like jam bands. But I cannot deny that the Grateful Dead were a huge influence on the music and lifestyles of the West Coast in the 1960's. They were also instumental in the development of the counterculture, which changed the culture in most of the US, they got lots of young people to pick up guitars, and start writing, which ultimately changed music for the better, IMO.

I think he deserves a stamp.

aprilh
When the mode of the music changes, the walls of the city shake-Pliny

Why not? I was a stamp collector at one time, and it seems that just about any slice of American culture can qualify. I will sign the petition. Some of my 'Dead' friends are now into bands like 'String Cheese Incident'. And just to let you know, these are some thoughtful and dangerous bohemians! But imagine this, sometimes, they just like to have fun--for the heckofit--imagine that!
smile_n_32.gif

never said i did anything.

LOL, I don't think it mattered much to Jerry how much money he had, he never thought much about it - it just wasn't an issue, but whatever he had he earned all of it! Except for a few years in the 70's the band never quit touring for more than a few months at a time. The music was his life and his gift to so many of us babyboomers. Ya just had to have been there I guess.

Thanks for the support and kindness from the kind and supportive, and to the rest - have another nice cup of vinegar.

guilt trips will get you everywhere. i will sign the petition now after giving it thought and realizing that he does deserve a stamp much more than Elvis Presley.

My signature is number 13652

Elvis was a much more revolutionary figure than Jerry.  I'm sure both would have agreed.  Maybe if I had ever tried LSD I'd be a Dead Head and would be clamoring for a Jerry stamp too.  I've been told LSD isn't a requirement, but never by anyone who hadn't used it.  Maybe the USPS could cut out the middle man and just put out an Owsley stamp.

#14063!Did my part  
cool.gif

Jerry

When do we get the Kurt Cobain stamp? He's been dead for 10 years, his music changed almost completely for the better (for a short while)what we listen to on the radio, he was also a drug addict, AND much better looking than Elvis and Jerry.  
smile_m_32.gif

I signed the petition, #14069. Though I really hate guitar solos lasting over 30 seconds, and I don't see the usefullness of a song lasting over 3 minutes 20, and I can't stand jam bands....the double drummer thing was really cool. The Dead were a very important and seminal band in the history of US music. Garcia deserves a stamp.

I was taken to a Widespread Panic show once....and I fell asleep. Aprilh

have you ever noticed that "Levi's" is an anagram for Elvis?

every noticed the best music is inspired by drugs?

Back