What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just got this from John:

New England Carnivorous Plant Society, Founded 2003
January 2005 Newsletter

The New Year has arrived, and the cold weather hasn?t been too much of a bother so far this winter. Spring is still several months away, but the Flower Shows and winter events can keep us busy till we can get to work outside with our plants. There are still lots of things going on at the NECPS!

The program for the January meeting will be a talk and show about Kew Gardens, put on by "Wild Bill" Matthews. Bill and his bride Dena recently took the trip of a lifetime {for plant people} to England, and were able to spend time and make fantastic contacts with the people of Kew Gardens. Many of the plants we see and grow today were first brought back to Kew, and they have been doing research into so many plants for many many many years! They also met with Langy, from the CPUK forums, in Swansea, South Wales. Bill will have pictures to show and more, and knowing him, some great stories to relate about the visit. It should be a great time and show!

Bill has also been talking with another society about a plant swap, and we will be filled in on the details for that at the February meeting. And, as always, we will have the display table {don?t forget to bring any plants you would like to show off} and the ever popular swap/silent auction table.

Work has been progressing for the display that the NECPS is participating in for the Rhode Island Spring Flower show, Feb 17 ~20 in Providence RI. We will be responsible for a Bog Garden, roughly 10ft X 10ft on one end of the BIG display in the main display area, plus we will have a chance for some plants to be displayed in the Container area in the same display. To give you an idea how large this display will be, they are working on a house facade that will be the centerpiece of the display, and will be assembled in the flower show! Plants have been ordered from Kennedy?s Country garden and are being forced as we speak. The Bog Garden will feature mostly Pitcher Plants {Sarracenia} and maybe some different Sundews if we can have some that would look good in the display.

Along with the display, the NECPS will be sharing a booth with the RI Orchid Society {RIOS} on the 5th floor of the show, in the area for all the non-profit groups. Once again we have the area right next to the stairs, so that when you come up to the floor you will have to see our booth. We will be working on the booth in the next few weeks, and will be discussing ways to highlight the Society at the next meeting. If you have any ideas for the booth, please bring them and yourself to the January meeting!

I attended a meeting, along with representatives from all the affiliate groups, with the new Parks Director for the City of Providence, and we were all shown the new updated plans for the NE Botanical Gardens at Roger Williams Park. While the plans have been downsized, there will still be some great improvements done, and new greenhouses built and displays available. I hope to have the New Parks Director attend a future meeting and fill the whole society in on what will be happening to our home in the near future. It was a wonderful feeling, however, to walk into the meeting and have the Director mention right away that she had heard great things about our society, about the people in it and the shows we have done! This can only make it easier for us in the future.

The next meeting of the New England Carnivorous Plant Society will be Saturday, 8 January 2005 at 12:30 PM in the greenhouse at Roger Williams Park, Providence RI. For directions, please check the link on our website {http://www.necps.org }, or call me at the number on the bottom of this page. As usual, I will be there about Noon to set things up, if anyone would like to get there early. Refreshments will be served, and anyone is welcome to bring any goodies to add to the table. And never forget plants to show off, or add to the swap/auction table.
I hope to see everyone on Saturday, 8 January 2005 at the next meeting of the NECPS!

Good growing!

John Phillip, Jr
NECPS President

Did you get the slide projector Bill? Can't wait to hear about your trip, should be great photos too!

Could someone PLEASE bring a video recorder to the meeting? I won't be able to make it (the 8th?!? EE GAD, that's around the corner), and I hate to miss Bill's presentation.

Ah, c'mon shloaty, it would be great to see you at a meeting! Maybe you could tell your students to meditate on karate for the weekend Lol!! Oh, btw, I think I will bring a plant to show for this meeting.

I tried to get a digital projector, but found out they are wicked expensive to rent.

My slide projector is buried deep in storage, but I did reserve one for the weekend from our local library, whew!!

Just in from John:

"Hello everyone...

Just a quick little update....

we will have the new NECPS logo shirts available at the January ( This Saturday's) meeting!.... in 3 colors !!

I hope to see everyone there....

Thanks

John Phillip, Jr"

Awesome, Huh!!!!

Nathan just updated the NECPS (www.NECPS.org) website with details and photos from the last meetings including Matt's Roridula in flower (December) and my Ceph Hummer's Giant (Jan).

Check out our brand spankin' new shirts!!

20050108-NECPS-Members%20Mike%20and%20Andreia%20model%20the%20new%20t.jpg

20050108-NECPS-Members%20Kirk,%20Jeff,%20and%20Robert%20show%20off%20new%20tshirts.jpg

Yup, just waiting for the photos from you and it should be all up to date.

Enjoy.

Anyone wanting a shirt... we'll have them to some retailers soon.* They're gorgeous! BTW, that back there belongs to Mike Stiffler. He wanted me to make sure to not crop out his backside.

*Pretty girl and obnoxious boy not included

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]He wanted me to make sure to not crop out his backside.

I'll bet. LOL. And the way she's smiling.....

Great shirts! I gotta ask John if he can mail me some...

Back