What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I've got p. villosa as well as...

I've got P. villosa as well as P. macroceras and P. vulgaris on the way. Two should be here tomorrow and the vulgaris will probably arrive on Tuesday.

Does anyone out there grow any of these temperate species of Pings who would be in a position to share growing tips with me? The P. villosa is already dormant but the macroceras is still active. The vulgaris is also being shipped dormant.

Please let me know if you grow any of these Pings and what you deem to be the secret to your success.

The dormancy trigger for many plants is daylength (photoperiod). I have been growing some D. anglica that go dormant in late August and, if they survive, come out of dormancy in May. In the wild, they get covered with snow from late September until June. It seems to make no difference if the temp in my greenhouse is 80F, they still go dormant in August. Unless they then get a long cool fall and winter, they do not sprout again in the spring.

The key to many northern plants is that they need a lengthy dormancy. I expect that the latitude and/or elevation where the plants originated will determine when they normally go dormant and again awaken.

Thank you Bob. I read extremely relevant information in Don Schnell's book about the temperate pings. My thoughts are that all of these need at least a 6-7 month dormancy except the macroceras. My other thoughts are that a winter drought would do them all in. Funny you should mention D. anglica as that was one I just purchased also and received however it was not dormant quite yet but on its way.

Interesting you should mention the photo period as the vulgaris and the villosa were both dormant yet one was shipped to me from south of where you live and I figured reduction in light had to be the trigger as it most certainly wasn't outer air temps. I truly didn't know how to deal with them so I planted one of each species in a part sun bog and potted up one of each species in damp medium and placed them pot and all enclosed in a large ziplock to retain some moisture in a refrigerator out in my garage that I use for cold stratifying seed well... pop gets tossed in there in summer time but it isn't supposed to.  I used masking tape and secured the pots in the baggies to the side of the frig just to make sure nobody knocked one over accidentally. Both of the  macroceras are currently out in the bog in a pot and I figured when the night time air temps started hitting down in the 40's, I'd pop that in the refrigerator also.

I created little holes in the bog that will accommodate the pots so that next spring, I can plop them right into that bog, pot and all, to wake up more naturally. I only have 2 of each so I'm hoping one way or the other will work.

Do you think I should take them out of the frig and plant them all out in the bog?

The anwser to dormacy for temperate Pinguicula here is.......put them outside and forget about them
lol
It rains more in winter then it does in summer or spring, so they never dry out completely over the winter, and they sprout in spring again and thye look bigger and better then before

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Starman @ Aug. 30 2005,2:49)]It rains more in winter then it does in summer or spring, so they never dry out completely over the winter ...
Perhaps in the UK, but that strongly depends on where you live. In some places it rains more in summer than winter. If fact, in some places it never rains in winter -- it snows and the snow does not melt until spring. Winter desiccation is a big reason that many CPs in high latitudes (or high elevations) do not survive the winter.

That would be exactly the situation I am in. Here, if we don't get enough snow to blanket the ground which insulates and retains moisture we will have tremendous losses. A winter drought is much harder on plants than a summer drought.  At least in summer we can get out there and water the plants.

editing to ask-
So should I take them out of the frig?

Back