What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ive got a new toy..........

• Thread starter rattler
  • Start date
the shops digital rebel needs some repairs after several years of hard use at the newspaper....the shutter button aint working like it should.........lots of hesitation, only trips the shutter bout half the time......brought it to the camera shop since we are out of town this weekend.....likely $200 to fix.....wont have the camera back for 3 weeks......well homecoming is this weekend so that aint going to work so we upgraded.......from this:
IMG_0634.jpg

$1200 later to this:
IMG_0635.jpg

IMG_0636.jpg

IMG_0637.jpg

:grin:

I shoot with a very similar setup,I shoot with the canon 1D. i've done alot of work with the 20d and 40d, the 40d is pretty sweet, how you liking that humongous thing they call a screen on the back of that guy ;) haha

congrats its a great camera.
now what lenses are you going to pick up?

Camera on steriods x_x

no new lenses yet other than the Canon EF 28-135 IS USM that came with it(which seems like a sweet lens, and a hell of an upgrade over the couple of low end Sigma's i have been using)........if i pic up a few more carpet jobs i think ill find me a decent dedicated macro for plant and critter photos and maybe a ring light..........

your right on the bigger screen :D
IMG_0641.jpg

That screen is bigger than my TV. I've always wanted a SLR camera to hook up to my telescope.

xvart.

haha yeah that screen is massive, I used one for slide shooting one time and it seemed like the screen was so big I couldnt keep from getting fingerprints on it

do you shoot RAW format or Jpeg?

I've been waiting to get a really decent macro lens, their pretty expensive. the lens you got with yours is a really good midrange lens you can do most anything with it :) then you get specialty lenses for the really ridiculous stuff like cp shooting

ring light, that'd be a pretty luxurious thing to have how about a really tiny tripod and a pocket wizard for strobe lighting :banana2:

again thats a really sweet pickup :)

it doesnt have live view does it?

Congratulations. But don't buy any lenses without a lot of research, because Canon makes plenty of garbage lenses in addition to those great L lenses which mere mortals can't afford. The trick is to find Canon's lenses that have close to L lens quality for not much more than garbage lens prices. I don't remember what they are anymore, but there are some excellent websites (not specific to Canon) that can give you a lot of guidance.

and here I was expecting a picture of a nice new rifle! Maybe a Weatherby .270 or a Colt M4? but a camera.....

it doesnt have live view does it?

actually it does but ill likely never use it.....why in the hell would you use live view when running an SLR? granted i never use the view finder on my PowerShot 1100 but its the size of a deck of cards....only time i would prolly use live view is if its tied down to a solid tripod.....otherwise, normal shooting position provides alot more support for running a heavy camera like this

cmm..........

havent messed with raw much but thats cause there has been no reason for it with the newspaper and my personal use has been for my own grins and rarely if ever print anything out, just havent tried messing with Raw yet.....and your right.....that massive screen on the back attracts fingerprints like mad.....

Bruce.....wouldnt dream of dropping $400+ on a lens without reading up on it.......actually likely wouldnt have purchased this one separate from the camera.....most of what ive read is ppl complaining about it as a $400 lens......however those that purchase it as what basically boils down to be $200 when purchased with the camera have really liked it.....

wolf......was looking over some concealed carry pistols this weekend but i didnt, personally, have a grand to buy one but it sounds like ive got a line on a commercial carpeting job......so maybe next month :grin:

I was able to purchase a Kimber Ultra Covert with my bonus check to carry off-duty. What a wonderful little pistol!

various Kimbers are what i happen to be looking at, happy as hell with my Kimber 84M Montana in 260 thats fast becoming my favorite hunting rifle, swear ive had a 44 mag revolver that weighed more :D .....was looking at a CDP II and a steel framed Pro Carry II, course those were the only small Kimbers i found in stock at the two gun shops.......gotta decide if i want to go with aluminum or steel frame....the CDP feels like it will be easier to carry day in and day out but the steel framed Pro Carry feels like it will be easier to shoot due to the weight which means ill likely practice more....think i want to stick with the 4 inch barrel though....heard the 3 inch micro compacts tend to be more finicky on ammo and such......longer sight radius can only help in a bad situation too.......

Back