What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Its time to cut back my 2 N. x ventrata

NickHubbell

It’s a trap!
Well, it has come time to cut back my two large N. x ventrata plants I bought over a year ago. I have been slowly moving my office/plant room from the second floor to the first floor. In order to move these plants, I have to cut out my N. x ventrata plants as they have overgrown the chamber and are too large to move about without loosing most of the plant in the process. They are just too big to move and replace back into the chamber.

Anyway, I will have a bunch of cuttings that should be available for trade next spring. I have two plants and will do my best to keep track of which cutting came from what plant. This way it might be possible to track male and female plants. I am hoping I have a male and female plant, but have yet to see any flowers.

The fact that these two plants have not flowered has me wondering if they are only a few weeks away from doing so. However, I have to get the plants moved and I hope one of the tip cuttings will deside to flower.

I wil be taking photos from before and after. I may even get some of me taking the cuttings.

Wish me luck. I hope I don't kill these two.
ghostface.gif

P.S. I may try to move these plants. I know it will not be fun doing so.

Last edited:
Here are a couple of before photos:

N_ventrata_before_cut.jpg

Side of one of my plants. This plant is over 3 feet tall.

N_ventrata_before_cut2.jpg

Another view of the same plant.

Hey nice plants. They seem to have grown quiet a bit sense your last photo (saw on your webpage). Good luck with the cuttings. Hope all goes well.

Shoot! How could you tell if they flowered in that jungle!! That's a heck of a lot of nepenthes!

SF
biggrin.gif

Those are beasts. I think ventrata are the toughest and hungriest plants I've got. They are bug assassins. They produce elegant pitchers as well.

I'm hoping for one of them to vine all over my patio. It seems to be interested in doing so. That will be hard to cover when it gets cold. But, if I can ever get pitchers hanging down six or seven feet out onto the patio (maybe a year at this rate), that will make one heck of a picture. It is vining so fast now since a huge pitcher display (similar to the one I posted pics of on the other plant) began eating swarms of bugs.

FYI: Florida residents. Ventrata is a fantastic plant to grow outside, IMO. It's not just the hardening of my particular plants I'm beginning to think. My ventrata are tough compared to some non-carnivorous plants that live in the same area of the back yard patio. That's how tough I'm talking about. I have cooked, baked, and fried them in the sun on occasion with few ill effects. I try to keep all neps out of intense sun. But, if one must go there, it is always a ventrata.

Well, the cutting has been done. I have 6 1 gallon bags of cuttings that I need to get rooted. Thats going to take some space...

Anyway, here are a couple after photos:

One of me with a 4ft vine. Yes, I do looked pissed off as I was at the time. I really did not want to have to do this.

N_ventrata-18-2003_CuttingSize.jpg

Bags of cuttings:
N_ventrata_6bags_cuttings11-8-2003.jpg

Plants after being cut:
N_ventrata_cutplants11-8-2003.jpg

You are going to have a heck of a lot of ventratas very soon!!!

I could have made more, however I didn't cut them down to one or two node sections. I have 103 cuttings from my two plants. Now, to see if they all take root.

Holy Cow, Nick! Those were impressive specimens, but I had no idea there was that much vine. 103 cuttings???

Joe

Well, each parent ventrata has started to send out new buds on each of the cut stems. I cannot seem to keep these two plants down
smile.gif

Thanks for sharing Nick, you have now greatly sparked my interests in Neps. The only prob in getting one is, the ......THE SPACE THAT MONSTER TAKES UP!!!!!! lol
biggrin.gif

Well, as of today, only 3 cuttings have died and the rest have rooted. Now, I just need to find space for 100 N. x ventrata plants.

Oh, and I forgot about the 6 that I had in my basement before I took these. So... I have 106 cuttings.

Well that was a nice investment, lol.

Joe

Back