What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It's cold in here

Hello!

Maybe have suggested me to get some sort of heating pad for my terrarium to make my neps more confortable.

What sort of heating pad are we talking about?
Can the "relieve mucle pain" type do? Or does it have to be a lizard tank heater or something?
And just how expensive do these things get?

There is a commercially sold electrical product called a hot rock that is used to keep reptile tanks warm. You should be able to find it in a pet shop

I found this topic shortly after yours. Would the links provided be helpful to you?

http://www.petflytrap.com/cgi-bin....=15566;

I'm sure "more collective wisdom" will be deposited after my post!

From your thread in the Nepenthes forum, your growlist only includes 1 lowland Nepenthes with the remainder intermediate/highland. Personally I really don't think you need a heater.

If you feel you must try one to 'see what happens', the drugstore heat pads for sore muscles are not designed for long term continuous duty or to have heavy weight on them. I would suggest the heat pads sold by nursery catalogs for warming seedling trays.

Tony

my lights are enough to keep my terrarium warm.

i have a lizard heat lamp and a fish aquarium style light bar.
the lizard heat lamp gives good heat but its only one lamp, so you would need multiple if you dont have other source of heat.

my light bar is the one that supplies most of the heat.
since my terrarium is indoors, it wants to be around 75.. but that lights help keep it around 80. and at night, i put a thin blanket under the light, so it stays on and keeps the terrarium warm at around 70 at night.. without the light on at night the terrarium gets around 60.. and the blanket under the light gives it a neat moon effect.

kinda hard to explain. hope that helps.. and my drosera love the extra lizard lamp and my nep is getting leaves like crazy.. only no pitchers yet, i just got the thing and trying to stabilize the humidity.

Hold on Tony... are you saying I'm going to stop there?! Woa, I'm flattered, but I think you are overestimating my willpower (required to resist the appeal of Cps.)
I'm thinking of getting more, but I want their spot ready before I do. That's why I'm slowly but surely building plants grow shelves to give them a nice corner.
And since those temps are quite intermediate-like in my terrarium, I'd make something different with this one. Either highland or lowland, but I guess lowland conditions are easier to create.

I thought about using a blanket to insulate my tank...but doing so, I can't see my plants!

Saw that thread Jim, but felt like having more info. Hot rock hum? Will do some research on it.

Back