What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Its alive

OH MY GOSH! A freak acident has yealded amazing results. A small bit of fish food contaminated my water, spuring the growth of the water mold (looks like messy style cobweb but underwater). To my amazment, this has sparked the germination of nearly all of my D.Spatulata seeds. The ones most ovious are quite litteraly in a ball of water fuzz! If anyone has read recent post on the overal influence of fungus and fungus on sundew seeds I think this may show a potential benifit of water growing. I have yet to see growth from my soil Spatulata.

This is incredible, I never expected such fasty germination, I will continue to watch the seeds. I have placed two onto moist soild. The others I will watch as well and report on their progress. It will be interesting to see if the mold ever attacks the young seedlings or if this common fungi form is in deed a plant symbioent (note, fungi that look like this rarely affect fish, but are often used as an indicator of potential fin rot.

I am really excited, the fact that these seeds are sunken rather then floating is also interesting seeing as they germinated UNDERWATER. I'm so excited I could pop. Now I have to check all my other seeds!

-Darcie

Looks like a cappa might of sprouted too It's hard to tell because their is no seed coat on it, but under the microscope it looked like a bunch of fish scales so I'm thinking it's plant cells. Anyways, it's sort of yellow with hints or red (I have good zoom vision, lol)

oh oh! one of the alicea went off too.

As soon as they germinate you'd want to remove them fromt he water... They are not aquatic plants, remember... You should remove them with tweezers, and put them on an appropriate growing medium...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Parasuco @ Oct. 16 2002,04:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">As soon as they germinate you'd want to remove them fromt he water... They are not aquatic plants, remember... You should remove them with tweezers, and put them on an appropriate growing medium...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
erm, twizers would crush them. Wild sun dew hang out in water all the time, they just like shallow water (seriously, the ones areound here are more often in or just under water then on land). When I say sprouted, I mean just starting. I'll pop all of them out of the water as they get a little more sprouted. They are about 2x the size of this afternoon so tomarrow morning should be a good time
smile.gif

Back