What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Issues with Tissue cultured VFT's?

Are there any potential issues with VFT's that have been propagated via tissue culture?

I remember a few mutations when I helped out at a local grower potting up plants, one plant never seemed to grow traps any bigger than 3-5 mm, and formed a mass of little traps, they never seemed to do well in the long term, she nick named them 'miniscutima' (however that is spelled).

Anyway the reason I ask is I have one VFT on our window sill in our lounge and it si not forming traps properly any more (large stubby leaves with very small or no traps), it is wake up time in this hemisphere and I thought it would have come right by now until I saw some for sale again in the local garden centre (nice big traps on long narrow leaves). I did really well in this location up until it went dormant.

Tissue Cultured plants in a garden center are not the best examples to judge against. They've spent most of their lives in controlled growing conditions greatly different from yours. It is not unusual to find VFTs with good color, plenty of traps and on the verge of flowering at garden centers in the dead of winter.

It probably just needs a few more weeks.

I have some denateas after division the smaller pieces of rizome did exactely what you are saying.
Multible growing points and small traps. I am tempted to take my pocket knife and cut the point apart to make dime sized vft but there would be no roots.

Spring growth is usually made up of small traps and big leaves. It's the plant's way of laying down tissue for photosynthesis as soon as possible - trapping insects can wait.

Tissue cultured plants in shops won't be at the same stage of growth as yours, but next spring, after dormancy, they'll exhibit the same spring growth pattern as yours.

Thankyou all!

I the many years I have been growing CP's I have never really grown VFTs except for my very first plant. This one is more for my two girls than myself!

Back