What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this something to worry about?

• Thread starter ChefDean
  • Start date
View attachment 4398View attachment 4399
I was looking at my Drosera seedlings and found this. I actually found two of them, both about the same size.
I have five little shooters with seedlings, all with LFS, but I could only see these worms in one, the one I plucked both worms out of. Both are about 1 mm long, 1.5 mm stretched out, and both seemed to be munching on the moss, not the seedlings.
Anyone know what they may be? Should I be concerned? Should I transplant all the delicate seedlings to new media?
Any info/ideas/advice/suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Chef

Fungus gnat larvae, will eat seedlings and plant roots and can spread pathogens. If they're in one pot, they'll probably get into all the rest unless they're killed with something like Mosquito Bits.

Bonjour

for me it is a sciaride larvae .

very harmful for seedlings, they do not make any difference between an organic substrate and seedlings or even roots.

before all things pass your substrate(who must be infested) in the oven a few minutes to kill all these dirt

unfortunately if your seedlings have already grown it will be difficult.

you can also try to flood your tray a few hours

Last edited:
I read before that fungus gnat larvae belongs to the family Sciaridae. So, using Mosquito Bits should solve your problem.

That's the general consensus of the plethora of wonderful advice I've been getting. However, I'm not in a position to get any quite yet, and it seems to be only one seedling shooter infested, so I took the path of trashing that one shooter. My decision was made easier with the discovery that half the seedlings seemed to have disappeared overnight.
The other 4 shooters do not show any signs of infestation, but I'll dose them with mosquito bits when I have the opportunity to get some just to be safe.
Thanks for all your help,
Chef

I read before that fungus gnat larvae belongs to the family Sciaridae. So, using Mosquito Bits should solve your problem.

Fungus gnat is a term that is given to a large number of small flying insect families, but the sciarids are likely the most common.

Bonjour

for these bugs it is necessary to eradicate at the same time the larvae and the adult insect(compost flies ), for the adult insect I use sticky yellow stripes.

you can use also for the larvae the nematodes Steinernema

jeff

Last edited:
Back