What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is This Right?

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
These gemmae came to me as D. omissa x pulchella 'Orange Flower'. Obviously the flowers aren't orange. I also have gemmae that came to me as 'Salmon Flower', but they aren't flowering. Is it possible that the ones flowering are the 'Salmon Flower'?

Picture010-4.jpg

I couldn't get a clearer picture of this but this is the one labeled 'Salmon Flower'.

Picture005-2.jpg

These are (without a doubt) D. omissa x pulchella (I wrote a more detailed response on ICPS before I saw this).

Ok now I understand what's going on here.

The flowering hybrid you are looking at is (Drosera omissa) x (Drosera pulchella "Orange Flower").

Through the wonders of genetics the flowers of the hybrid get their color from the D. omissa. Who ever did the cross pollination noted that the D. pulchella was "Orange Flower". If the cross had been done with a pink flowered D. puchella it would probably have been labeled D. omissa x pulchella "Pink Flower"

As for the plant that has not flowered yet I'm confused as to whether or not this is also a hybrid or simply D. pulchella "Salmon Flower". If it is a hybrid of (D. omissa) x (D. pulchella "Salmon Flower") the flower could still turn out to be pinkish/purple from the D. omissa parent.

Ok now I understand what's going on here.

The flowering hybrid you are looking at is (Drosera omissa) x (Drosera pulchella "Orange Flower").

Through the wonders of genetics the flowers of the hybrid get their color from the D. omissa. Who ever did the cross pollination noted that the D. pulchella was "Orange Flower". If the cross had been done with a pink flowered D. puchella it would probably have been labeled D. omissa x pulchella "Pink Flower"

Good going Warren. You're a modern Sherlock Holmes. Except Sherlock Holmes would be in bed right now :nono:

Jason

Thank you for your help. I'll eliminate the reference to orange:

D. omissa x pulchella

One by one, slowly but surely, I'm going to have these ID's correct!

I don't know if I would eliminate the reference. Who ever did the cross thought it was important and it may or may not be. There may be differences between the hybrids with different parentage.

Interesting read, it does appear that the clone going around the US is not one of Dieter's hybrids.

For some clarification on the renaming see this thread on the ICPS board:

http://icps.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=literature&action=display&thread=1485

To answer the question of why Drosera omissa instead of D. eriksoniae it is a matter of which name was published first. It turns out that D. omissa and D. eriksoniae are the same plant described and published at different times. Whenever species names are synonymous the one published first should be used.

Drosera eriksoniae was described by N.Marchant & Lowrie 1992 in Kew Bulletin.47:323

Drosera omissa was described by Diehls 1906 in Pflanzenr.26:73

So, well-intentioned as Dieter was, it would appear that I have a D. omissa x pulchella (and forget the reference to a color). Right? Or should it be D. pulchella x omissa? I'd ask the plant...

When relabeling I always keep the original in parentheses just in case. Most of the time all you can do is go by how a plant was labeled when you got it. You may be able to backtrack the sources and discover where the error occured.

Just to add some humor to this:

That top photo looks more like a Sarracenia than a Drosera. Either that, Jim, or your plants are really messed up.

That second photo looks like a Pingiucula gypsicola leaf cutting. Again, that would have to be a pretty messed up Drosera.

;) ,
Christopher.

I eliminated those pictures. Sometimes Photobucket shows you the right picture and name when you are viewing them individually and then displays something else you've downloaded just prior to the fresh uploads.

Back