What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this petiolaris dormancy?

I've read up on the inward spiral that shows a plant is going dormant. However, I got these in August and I havent had enough leaves to even tell where is the spiral right now. They're just doing poorly, less dewy than before, and in general I'm unsure if its time to start reducing the water and hope they wake up in a month or two.

These are the kenayelli and falconeri x paradoxa I believe. Although the falconeri paradoxa is so badly mangled that I cant tell if it is a falconeri or a hybrid

They look more than just dormant.

They have thrips. Spray them and keep them isolated form your other plants.

I have been trying to scrape them off with a tooth pick because the last two times I had scale and mealy bug problems i lost the plants when I tried insecticide treatment.

If the scraping isnt enough can I also soak the plant underwater for a day or two? I read that works on mealys. I'm just not very comfortable with insecticide at this point having lost plants to the insecticide, than the pest.

Scraping won't work for thrips as they are actually inside the leaf.

If you do not want to use insecticide then yes you can submerge. I would go at least a week and if you can set it up so the plant still gets light and try to keep the water warmish.

On rare occasion, I have seen that look, and never notced anything but general suffering and death. What exactly characterizes thrip infestation?

It is most obvious on the kenneallyi. That burned look to the leaves is where the thrips have consumed the inner tissue.

Jim: It depends on the species of thrips and the host plant. Usually there is leaf deformaties as seen with other suckers (aphids, scale, etc.). One common sympton are silvery streaks or scars as one species chews the tissue before sucking the fluids.

See tables 1 and 2 and the "Damage" section:
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7429.html

Does neam work ?
Or do yo need to do systematic insectacide ?
I have never had pest problems yet.

Thanks for the links. Looking at a few of the pictures, I don't think I've ever seen the adult pest, but perhaps their effects.

The adults are near invisible. I have dealt with them on rare occasion and they are a pain. Do not know if neem works or not. I use a systemic on principle, if they are eating the plant then I know they will get poisoned.

Re: Neem Oil (from the UCD webpage):

Narrow-range oil (Sunspray, Volck), azadirachtin (Safer BioNeem), neem oil (Green Light Garden Safe), pyrethrins combined with piperonyl butoxide (Garden Safe Brand Multi-purpose Garden Insect Killer, Spectracide Garden Insect Killer), and (at least for greenhouse thrips) insecticidal soaps (Safer), can be somewhat effective for temporary reduction of thrips populations if applied when thrips are present and damage first appears. These materials have the benefit of allowing at least a portion of the natural enemy populations to survive because they do not leave toxic residues. Sprays must be applied to thoroughly cover susceptible plant tissue, such as new leaf growth and buds. On plants with a history of severe, unacceptable damage, begin treatment early when thrips or their damage is first observed. Repeat applications (usually 5 to 10 days apart, depending on temperature) are usually required because these insecticides only kill newly hatched thrips and recently emerged adults.​

Refer to the "Chemicals" section of the UCD page for more information on pesticide usage. Thrips are a difficult pest to control as they lay their eggs and pupate within the plant tissue itself, thus most chemical controls will kill only the adults.

Okay so thripes are a very nasty insect,so if I get them I don't want to mess around I should use a systematic.

I've been spraying the insecticide daily and rinsing it off after half an hour. I've seen a good number of dead thrips floating off in the media too. It's nasty stuff. And the sun dews look like drowned half dead rats now.

The rest of them appear to be aphid infested. Falconeri are not an easy bunch :(

I've been spraying the insecticide daily and rinsing it off after half an hour.
Just curious if this agrees w/ label instructions? Most of the systemics with which I'm familiar have you apply the pesticide and maybe reapply in 2 weeks or so (for the ones that were missed & young from hatched eggs). If it's systemic, the bugs will die when they munch on the plant again (as Pyro mentioned above) - no need for all the reapplications. Continually re-applying a pesticide that isn't meant for daily applications will likely end in dead plants.

I've seen a good number of dead thrips floating off in the media too.

I'd be suspicious if you're seeing thrips. If they're the bugs from your other thread, they're aphids. As Pyro mentioned, thrips are difficult to actually see.

The rest of them appear to be aphid infested. Falconeri are not an easy bunch :(
Falconeri tend to do better when they do not have an infestation of plant juice suckers.... there aren't alot of plants that will thrive with all those critters around....

Back