What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this mold?

Hello everyone!

I'm fairly new to CPs and recently dove into the Nepenthes Genus. From popular consensus, the hybrid I have is N. ventrata. What do you think?

I got this little one from Lowe's a little less than 2 weeks ago. I repotted it in peat, silica sand, and perlite mixture about a week ago. I've sprayed the pitchers during the morning and evening since taking it home, top watered this past week. It is in a SE facing area, but gets dappled light opposed to solid direct sunlight. The airflow isn't too bad in our covered backyard patio area. I add water into the drip tray sometimes, the pot is slightly elevated above the water and I chose this location since I figured both would help with humidity.

I noticed that there's some discoloration on a couple pitchers and I'm going to guess it's a mold of some sort. I have been told to stop spraying since it may cause crownrot or markings on leaves/ pitchers.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I really hope this guy pulls through!

imgur.com/gallery/M4IH6

Many thanks!
Mary

Last edited:
Tentatively, it doesn't really look like mold to me--I don't see any reproductive structure. However, I don't really know what it is. Perhaps just the plant settling in?

It doesn't look like mold to me either. Given that you got the plant 2 weeks ago it is probably just the old pitchers naturally dying off. I would stop the spraying because outside of an enclosed space it won't raise the humidity for more than 5 minutes. A plant like ventrata doesn't need raised humidity anyway, it'll adjust to household humidity well.

Thank you smiggle and Grey Moss!

Definitely relieved that you both don't suspect it to be mold. Learning as I go!

Would you say it needs to be in an indoor location? Or would the covered backyard patio be okay? Could I eventually place it outdoors?

Grey Moss, based on your statement that humidity doesn't matter much, would having the drip tray filled with sand and water be pointless? Is sun more influential for pitchering?

I apologize for all the questions. I appreciate the input!

Back