What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this a Utric? If it is, what kind?

In the soil of my new S. Rubra, there was some tall thin stalk things about 3 inches tall. You can see them all over in this picture.
Jamesplants2011.jpg

On them were a few of these flowers.
Jamesplants2021.jpg

And in the soil around the base of these stalks, there were some of these leafy things. You can see one of the stalks coming from near the upper left side of that brownish thing in the bottom right corner.
Jamesplants2022.jpg

Is this a Utric? If it is, I don't want to kill it. Will it be fine outside in the same pot as my S. Rubra?

definitely a utric, I dont want to guess at the ID. I'm not a good utric person haha I've only got one... and its real small...

yeah keep it happy spread it around all your pots it'll help with soil infestations... and its cool :)

I like it, but would it be ok to put outside?

yeah it should be fine outside, obviously it was outside at the vendors place. and i know where you got em, thats where i got my B52 lol

and i believe it is U. Bisquamata

Ok thanks. I'll look in my book and see if there's anything like it

I agree with Kris, U. bisquamata. You wont have to worry about losing it. It will colinise pots through self pollination. The problem you are more likely to have is getting rid of it if you decide you don't like it.

Haha, your´s also infested with U. bisquamata? My U. dichotoma and D. capensis have U. bisquamata. They´re supposedly kind of like weeds, but they´re nice to have.

I have a small pot of Bisquamata, and I agree, it definitely is bisquamata. Trust me, this plant will grow anywhere where theres water and light. It doesn't even need to be bright light! Just keep the water level quite high, give it as much light as possible, and try to keep it above 10 degrees, alothough I really don't think it cares about temperature so long as it doesn't freeze! All utrics seem to be invaders, all terrestrial ones, anyway. My U. subulata seeds managed to get everywhere, and they germinated in less than a full week of being sowed. There's no stopping these plants!!!

I think it's a bisquamata as well.

Back