What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this a sprout?

• Thread starter Nflytrap
  • Start date
DSCN1206.jpg

DSCN1208.jpg

Providing these are Sarr seedlings they should be S. leucophylla are otherwise their is a slim possibility of S. purpurea.

yep! those definately look like sarr sprouts!
smile.gif

the first two leaves are the cotyledons, but that third tiny growth in the center is the first pitcher!
Scot

Whoot!

Anything I should do from here on out? Currently they are in a plastic bowl in a gallon ziploc bag. The thing has no real drainage which I didn't think of beforehand. I think it would be best to let them grow to size and then transplant them?

Leave them where they are and keep them in the same conditions as your other sarras. You'll probably have to wait at least a year until they need transplanting.

These here would be my first sarrs.

Well keep them in plenty of light and use only rainwater. You can skip dormancy this year for quicker maturation. I keep mine on a windowsill indoors in winter.

Sounds good. Do they need the high humidity I've been providing? Also, how long should I expect to wait before I get recognizable pitchers(seems at least a few months)?

Thanks!

They need highish humidity but nothing extreme. Air movement is fairly important, so there's no need to cover them up or anything.

The first miniture pitchers are forming now in the centre. They'll be ready in a couple of weeks.

The little pitchers(look more like bits of grass) are poking out and even thinner right now than the original set of leaves. Guess they will be eating springtails for a year or so eh?

You'd be surprised how many things the tiny pitchers can catch! The little pitchers will puff out a bit before they open - you'll recognise them as true pitchers.

I'll be looking forward to it!

Now I've got several more(perhaps the count is now 10) coming up. Yes!

Now if only the purpurea seed would cooperate.

Alvin Meister: you were right that these pitchers are going to be viewable already. Even if they are the same dimensions as adult pitchers they should be able to catch at least a small ant...but maybe I'll be surprised.

That's so cool how pitcher plants start off looking like regular-ol'-plants, and then they suddenly become carnivorous! Mother nature at its finest
smile.gif

Okey dokey it looks like the first pitchers have opened up! They are tiny...don't know if they are feeding from them but haven't bothered inspecting with a magnifying glass yet.

Now the question is...when will I start seeing some color coming in?

Also pulled the purpurea seed out of the fridge again. If they sleep for a few months longer they will be a year old.
confused.gif

Where are you keeping them? They'll need sun to turn reddish. They may turn completely red, only slightly, or stay green. Their coloration over the first year isn't really indicative of how they will end up looking (with the exception of anthocyanin free plants).

I have no idea what seedling eat - maybe midges or something - but if you leave them outside you'll probably be able see little shadows if you hold them up to the light.

The seedlings have been growing slowly yet steadily. I'll be putting up some photos shortly. The largest pitchers are about the thickness of a small matchstick or toothpick.

Cool! It's good to have an update. Lookin' forward to the pictures!

Back