What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this a flower of Drosera dilatatopetiolaris?

Joseph Clemens

Staff member
<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>For those of you more familiar with taxonomy, please let me know if this flower has the appropriate characteristics of a Drosera dilatatopetiolaris flower? I believe I had to take about 30 shots before I got this one that I like.

d_dilatatopetiolaris_flower_A2.jpg
</span>

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>Tamlin,

Thank you very much for your input.

When I think about the differences shown by the siblings of this plant, it really made me wonder. I have heard tell of Drosera capillaris, Drosera spatulata, and Drosera natalensis as being species that are very highly variable. But every plant that has grown to maturity from this seed has been so different from every other, it seems like each one is a very unique individual and yet they are all Drosera dilatatopetiolaris. Makes other highly variable species of Drosera seem nearly identical in contrast.</span>

All members of the petiolaris complex are highly variable.  Also the flowers are not the most reliable diagnostic for the complex.  Lowrie uses peduncle length in situ as the determinator.  I would be hardpressed to tell the difference between the pink flowered D. falconeri and the flower of D. dilatato-petiolaris without the plant attached.

In D. dilatato-petiolaris you will find the lamina shape orbicular; sepals elliptic; lamina undersurface densely hairy; petiole oblanceolate; leaf hairs simple and dendritic.  Apart from the in situ peduncle length, these are reliable characteristics although cultivation protocols affect them to greater or lesser degree.

Back