What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there any way to get fertilizer free peat?!?

When I was preparing a pot for one of my pings, I noticed a small orange ball in my peat. The day before, I had noticed one in my classic terrarium, and later I took it apart. I had already used quiet a bit of this peat for some of my favorite plants, yet them seem quite fine, and I washed out their soil. This company was Hoffman. What am I to do now, that there is little pellets in all the peat moss that I know of? Scott's has now put "Miracle Grow Plant Food" into their peat, and it's in their perlite too. Where is a guy supposed to get some good quality peat anymore? Here's a pic of the little bugger:
darnthing.jpg

-Ben

Peat is easy to find. Try every nursery in your area, and see what they have to offer.

You see, the thing is that I got this bag of peat assuming it had no fertilizer in it; it even said "100% Pure Canadian Peat Moss". What I am asking for is a company that processes only peat, no other fertilizers. I threw away the remaining peat in the bag, because I didn't want to hurt my plants.

-Ben

http://www.waupacasoilblenders.com/Sphagnum.htm

This has been a good brand for me, maybe a bit to many sticks in the bag, but no fertalizer. I can't say I have had problems with moss, or algeae either.

I had assumed I was going to have problems with algeae living on a lake, but even so, I only have a troubling amount in 1 pot, of Utricularia.

Found it at Wal Mart

Ok, I will try my local Walmart for some of that stuff.

-Ben

Mmmm, if you can't find anything better at all, then I'd soak my peat and get as many of the fertilizer balls to float up as possible. Although, are yours hollow or solid; would they float when wet? The ones in my experience float; but no float, no cigar.

as far as i know, schultz still sells pure peat in smaller bags. you could always go to a larger garden center and buy a larger bag (a compressed bale) of peat. those seem to be fertilizer free (from what i see).
you could also go with lfs, as i have yet to see lfs sold with fertilizers added in. larger garden centers will have larger bags that bring the volume/cost ratio way down.

peace,
tech...

Thanks for all your help, guys. Well, somehow, I found this:

goodpeat.jpg

It's about 62 liters of compressed peat, and only cost me 6 bucks. It does not say anything about fertilizer, and it appears to be natural peat, with all those good sticks and stems in it.
smile.gif

-Ben

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]with all those good sticks and stems in it.

Find the rat, win a prize!
smile_n_32.gif

Good to see that you found an acceptable solution.

Back