What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there a hardy Nepenthes?

Hello,

I grow several species of Sarracenia species outside here in London, UK, but im sure i read somewhere that someone was growing a Nepenthes species outside in an area where it saw several frosts.

Could anyone suggest what species this might have been as I would be very interested in trying one myself.

The coldest my garden is seen for several years is -2.7 degrees centigrade- as Im quite lucky with the heat island around London.

Thank you for your help!

Owen

Nepenthes Khasiana is a hardy species that can return from frosts, it probably has the highest chance of survival of a frost like that. I wouldn't risk it, though, in fact you will have much better chances growing Nepenthes inside on a windowsill.

N. kahsiana is as stated above the most cold tolerant nepenthes. however as also stated above it can only handle frosts. you can grow it outside as long as it stays frost free. Nepenthes are all tropical plants so all of them including kahsiana will show severe damage with the cold. its just that kahsiana has a better chance of coming back... and even then. it may only be a 1 time thing for a big plant. it wont survive cold night after cold night.

Alex

I heard nepenthesventriocsa x aristolochioides was pretty cold tolernat .
and you should keep the nep indoors if you know there is going to be a frost.

My x 'Miranda' endured a frost with no ill effects - but then, when I noticed the frost at 8 in the morning, I did promptly bring it inside. Still, it didn't miss a beat.

neither did the x ventrata or the ventricosa x truncata

Thanks everyone- i'll keep my eye out for a few of these suggested species this year.

Thanks for your help

Owen

Owen,

Most uk growers have terrariums or greenhouses, some of my neps spend the summer hanging in a pear tree in my garden but come october they come into the greenhouse..

There are a few plants which do well on a bright window providing theres enough light and humidity.

I would start with a x ventrata which is as tough as they come in my opinion, or maybe a x miranda which has already been mentioned.. these are hybrids and are generally tougher than the true species.

ventrata and miranda are also easily found in gardencentres in the UK..

I'll have some cuttings of both soon.. PM me if your interested.

Wasted.

It's starting to warm up and the temperature is ranging from low 40s at night to low 70s in the afternoon, would n. 'miranda' and n. x ventrata survive outside?

Back