What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there a bright yellow ping?

Does anyone know if there is a ping with bright yellow leaves? If there is, I think it might be a good way to control my white fly infestation. They love my bright yellow S. flava flower!

My pings have done a great job on the fungus gnats.

Maybe I should raise insect pests for a hobby or check my plants better before I bring them in for the winter.

Glenn
sad.gif

Pinguicula gigantea and moranensis var.Superba can obtain a yellow coloration given enough lighting.

Glenn, that is a good observation. One of mine caught a white fly the other day, and your post inspired me to go out and check which one. It was an unmarked Alpine, but was medium green. As CP2K says, the gigantica can get yellowish, and the P. sethos is also yellowish. Also my lutea is very yellow. I don't think it would make a difference,though. I think a White Fly is the ultimate dinner for a Ping. I do note that some Pings attract more insects, and I started a thread about it some months ago, theorising that some may give out spectra not seen by humans. I have several in close proximity, and perhaps I'll post pictures and ask for the forum's opinions.

But again, a good observation.

I once brought an Adenium into my CP growroom and later discovered that it had been infested with whitefly. I discovered this fact after several Pinguicula that were growing nearest to it developed a dusting of whitefly adults on the surfaces of their leaves (yum). They were so efficient I have never seen a live whitefly in the room.

Back