What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is that a...

FLOWER?!
wow.gif

See for yourself!

http://www.cpforums.org/gallery/albums/Jason-pics/DSCN2307.thumb.jpg
'Bird's eye'view of baby flowering D.intermidiate

http://www.cpforums.org/gallery/albums/Jason-pics/DSCN2306.thumb.jpg
Zoomed in a little...

http://www.cpforums.org/gallery/albums/Jason-pics/DSCN2305.thumb.jpg
And finally, a side view of the flower.

I know that 'strong lighting tends to induce early flowering in
D.intermidiate' (as quoted from Jalan Kayu), but how early is 'early'?
Is it, say, normal for a D.intermidiate to flower in these conditions (you know, high humidity, strong lighting (72Watt) and singaporean wheather and environment?
Its not even two months old...
wow.gif

Jason

Is the D.intermidiate desperate to pass down its genes to the next generation, or what? Or maybe it was because I fed it too much...and now its trying to get rid of excess energy by flowering (and forming seed...yippee! At last I can get hold of some D.intermidiate seed (which is not obtained from other people
biggrin.gif
)

Jason

Noooo...why doesn't the actual picture show up on the screen? It worked last time...
The image seems a little blurred...must be out of focus...should I put a magnifying glass in front of the lens, or what, because every time I focus on the flower, I can't focus on the plant itself, and vice versa. Is this supposed to be true with cameras?

Jason

Don't know whether I should be getting excited about this...is this rare?

no, me little dews are flowin too!

It looks like a flower all right. The D.intermedia I got from guqin or Jalan Kayu (can't tell cos I potted them in the same pot) is flowering as well although it is very small. Size is about well, the length of a thumb (its diameter)? In contrast, my D.intermedia flowers only when it is huge: when its diameter is about the length of one's middle finger. I suspect the two are different species of D.intermedias. If flowering is a sign of maturity, then the small intermedia probably isn't getting any larger, which seems to suggest that mine is probably a larger version of D.intermedia. To further bolster this belief, it formed what I thought were winter resting buds last Dec/Jan, and its seeds don't germinate as readily as a tropical seed ought to in our hot weather! Maybe it's a "Big Audrey" variant of D.intermedia!
tounge.gif

By the way Jason, if u want to get focus on close-up objects with ur cam which presumably does not have very close-up macro features, u can tru placing a magnifying glass in front of the cam lens and adjusting the distance according until u get focus. It's crude, but it works and u don't have to get expensive close-up lenses!
biggrin.gif

Speaking of flowers, I was pleasantly surprised to find my N. x Gentle in bloom.

Jason, the spelling for the species is D. intermedia, not D. intermediate.
smile.gif

The temperate forms typically flower in the spring to early summer.

i have 2 sets of D. intermedia 'cuba' which looks different from each other. One set of them is from JK , it's reddish in colour like ebeyonder's. Another kind is from Jerramiah in the US and they are small and green like the one shown.
hmmm there seems to be different variaties of D. intermedia s cuba's!

Hi Tamlin! <doing a little dance>
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
Great to have you here!!!

The D. intermedia that I got from Hong Yee is of the type that does dormant under cool conditions.  One of mine went dormant but is now growing back.  

The D. intermedia that first flowered for me was from JK.  Maybe this is the real 'Cuba' form of D. intermedia

Ahhhh!!! What happened to my avatar???
sad.gif

If u hosted it on the petflytrap server space, it's gone!

Whew! The avatar is back! I think there was some maintenance going on.
smile.gif

wah great! But if u need freespace to host pics online, try out photodump.com

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wezx @ April 10 2004,11:59)]no, me little dews are flowin too!
Ya I know
smile.gif

Wah leow! I didn't know I would get so many replies in two days! Thanks guys...
smile.gif

Hi Tamlin...I didn't know you visited the foreign boards!
smile.gif

Thought my spelling for D.intermedia was a little dodgy.
In singapore we only have two seasons, hot and rainy, so spring doesn't make sense (well summer does)
wink.gif

Jason

Ps. ebeyonder, those are some nice D. intermedias you got there!
smile.gif

Back